Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Proofreading Services
    by Dwriter at 15:04 on 20 September 2009
    Can anyone recommend any good proofreading services? I'm considering maybe getting one for the book that I plan to publish next year. The only problem is that there are so many times I can read through it and still miss out a fatal spelling error so I'm considering maybe hiring a proofreader for this. Does anyone know how much the average cost would be, would I be better off getting someone else that has a good grasp of grammar to read it than myself?

I know it sounds a bit much hiring something that spellcheck on my computer can do for free. The problem with that is that I don't entirely trust it, so maybe I should consider hiring a proofreader. Any advice would be great.
  • Re: Proofreading Services
    by Account Closed at 17:20 on 20 September 2009
    You could ask the Society of Authors to recommend someone.
    by NMott at 19:12 on 20 September 2009
    There is the Society of Editors and Proofreaders, however, I found the good ones are so busy they don't have time to take on writers who want to self-publish.

http://www.sfep.org.uk/

I would go for someone based on personal recommendation.
    by EmmaD at 19:46 on 20 September 2009
    You could ask the editorial services like Writers Workshop and The Literary Consultancy. It's not their core business, but I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to ask, so they may well have people on their books.

You're so right not to trust spellcheckers - since they can't tell the difference between 'there', 'their' and 'they're', and 'we're', 'were', 'ware' and 'weir', what use are they?. And friends vary hugely how good they are at spotting both typos and literals.

Emma
    by Dwriter at 19:55 on 20 September 2009
    I did originally used one of my friends dad to help me spellcheck my book (as he was an English Teacher so his grammar was pretty spot on), But recently I kinda had an argument with that same friend so I don't think I can use him again.
    by Dee at 17:07 on 21 September 2009
    I can personally recommend Sarah Abel after the work she did on my novel. She can proofread, copy-edit, project manage the self-publishing process, whatever you want. And her fees are very reasonable.

http://www.sarahabel.co.uk/index.htm

Good luck,

Dee

by dbrooks76 at 22:45 on 04 July 2010
    If anyone is still after a proof reader (I appreciate this thread is fairly old) I'd be more than happy to offer my services at £15 per hour.

I'm a published award-winning author of technical papers and fiction.

My website is www.authorandengineer.co.uk

If I can assist anyone I'll be more than happy to.

Contact me either via WriteWords or my website email, which is authorandengineer@hotmail.co.uk.

Many thanks,

Dave

<Added>

or if you prefer £5.50 per 1000 words!
    by Academ at 08:06 on 10 July 2014
    I think you need to go professorwrite.com because according to my opinion they are the best in that kind of deals. So you should go there and hope it works..:)