Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 40 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >  
  • Re: character driven plots
    by Colin-M at 13:46 on 06 June 2005
    The only Clive Barker I've read is his books of blood, but I've got Weaveworld up there on the shelf. I got if for christmas, about 1988 and still haven't read it.
    by Ticonderoga at 16:28 on 06 June 2005
    The all-time master of character-driven fiction (if we forget Dickens for a moment!) is my fellow-countryman, Robert Louis Stevenson. Almost any one would do, but, as obvious starters:

Jekyll & Hyde

Kidnapped

Master of Ballantrae

Weir of Hermiston

Treasure island

As a contrast, Ray Bradbury, whose work I adore, creates almost no memorable individuals, as every one essentially represents an idea, but utterly unforgetable, wisdom-rich stories.

Mike

by Dee at 18:09 on 06 June 2005
    Aruna… would you say that a story being plot-driven or character-driven depends on the writer’s style? Or is it the other way round? For instance, I start with characters and let them drive the story. So is this why I write c-d stories, or have I subconsciously developed this style because I tend to prefer reading/writing c-d rather than p-d? Is the wheel driving the hamster? I can’t decide.

I'm asking all these questions because I have to confess I don’t analyse writing enough – whether it’s my own or anyone else's.

Dee
    by aruna at 18:16 on 06 June 2005
    I am not very good an analysing myself, Dee! But there are definitely such distinct writer-types. I remember reading an interview with a fairly well-known female writer some years ago, who said she wrote plot driven stories - first she would think of the story, and then invent chaaccters who fit into it. I thought it absolutely wierd at the time - Inconceivable! I think our reading style and our writing style simply reflect each other.
    by Account Closed at 11:11 on 07 June 2005
    Interesting. I usually begin with the characters and then the rest kind of falls into place around them.

JB

<Added>

Weaveworld is well worth a read Colin. It's excellent.
    by miffle at 11:38 on 09 June 2005
    Thomas Hardy novels... Thinking especially of Tess and Jude.
    by PhillC at 18:12 on 23 June 2005
    Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood is a superb work of character driven plot.

It's a very simply story, yet I was hooked from almost the opening page. The intensity of and sensitivity to each character is excellent.

by Colin-M at 18:16 on 23 June 2005
    I had to give up on "A Prayer for Owen Meany". I got to the nativity scene and ended up chucking it in the bin. The whole thing up to that point was like wading through molasses, and that scene, with Owen Meany taking over and everyone listening to his suggestions was just too silly.

Just about to start "Goodnight Mr Tom" recommended off-list.

colin m
    by Account Closed at 10:07 on 24 June 2005
    Read 'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S.Thompson, if you haven't already. I just finished it and it was terrific.

JB
    by kat at 11:38 on 27 June 2005
    I've grown up with a love of dramatic stories and characters, everyone from Jane Austen, Zane Grey, the Bronte sisters to Mice and Men, The Stone Gap and I think it was Cormac McCormac All the little ponies.
    Personally I enjoy dropping my characters into a crisis and seeing them come out the other side hopefully having learned something from the experience. Why although I enjoy anythimng in black and white I chose rom/thrillers.
    All cat romance is defined as character driven.
    kat

<Added>

error anythiming to anything. As a new word I like it.
  • This 40 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >