Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 24 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: endings
    by PeteJohnson at 20:50 on 12 July 2005
    Interesting, actually, I'm quite similar, I put it down to the fact I'm a perfectionist and the end is the hardest part to make perfect!

You could be useful for The Olympian Pen, different authors write each section, so if you're not so good at endings that's not a problem. You can find out more at http://www.theolympianpen.com and also if you prefer there's The Quill of Olympia at http://www.olympianpen.com/NewEnglish

by Terry Edge at 12:17 on 13 July 2005
    Pete,

I've had a quick look at your site. Tell me if I've got this straight: you're asking authors to contribute work towards a story that you will then have sole copyright of, and rights to all royalties the story may generate? If so, that's got to be one of the worse deals ever. No writer should ever give up copyright of their work; but if they do so, it should only be for fair payment.

If I have got the details right - and apologies if I've misunderstood your contract terms - then you should also be made aware that we're not too keen on people using this site to promote their services in a less than open and up-front way. But please put me right if I've failed to grasp what you're really trying to achieve.

Terry
    by Dee at 13:05 on 13 July 2005
    Pete, let’s see if I've understood this concept. We write the story. You get the copyright… hmmm… something wrong there, I think.

Dee
    by EmmaD at 14:08 on 13 July 2005
    I too have had a quick look at this site. But since WW has experience of fair comments that have been posted in forums being ill-received by those commented on, I'll say only that I have yet to see anything about the site that I think a writer would find helpful.
    Emma
    by Account Closed at 14:34 on 13 July 2005
    Never let anyone rent yor headspace for free, that's what I say. No self respecting writer who had even an iota's understanding of the industry would go for this pap.

JB
    by VM at 16:27 on 13 July 2005
    Starla - just to get back to your original point - wanted to echo what other people have said about psyche and self-sabotage etc. I have no problem writing endings but have a huge problem finishing things nevertheless - not just writing. I have pieces of sewing, drawing, web design, you name it, I have a project started and not completed. For me it's very much a fear of failure and being judged - I love the beginning where it comes easily and is full of potential, but hate having to get to a point where it is as good as it is going to be and might not be brilliant but just OK.

So is it writing endings that is the problem for you or finishing things? Emma's approach sounds good - or any other ways to deal with the fearful or judgemental voice in your own head. In practical terms I am just making myself practice finishing things - so far bits of sewing rather than writing, but just to make myself have the experience and it be alright!
    best of luck
    Veronica
    by ConnorKnot at 10:07 on 15 July 2005
    Pete, let’s see if I've understood this concept. We write the story. You get the copyright… hmmm… something wrong there, I think.

Even better, you also pay to give up your rights. The logic is blinding me.

I suppose, however, that it's all going to a good cause.
    by Account Closed at 10:18 on 15 July 2005
    That's hilarious.
    by EmmaD at 17:11 on 16 July 2005
    Veronica, I think you're particularly right about the fear of being judged. See the Inner Game books - the first one was about Tennis, my sister swears by the one on Singing. I don't know if there is one on writing, but it would run on same principles as The Artist's Way; that it's the fear of being judged that stops one playing/singing/writing with the unselfconscious grace that all children have before red ink gets scrawled all over their efforts by parents and teachers. And declaring something finished does make you vulnerable to having it judged: after all, you are saying, 'OK, this is the best that I can do.' I never used to work at my highly academic school or revise for exams, because I preferred doing badly because I hadn't worked, to risking still not doing well after doing my 'best'.

Of course, as I've been banging on about in another thread - Rejecting Publishers, I think - there comes a point where you have to take some of the red ink on board, in order to judge your work - the world's slush piles are full of people who haven't. Just not while you're writing your first draft.

Emma
  • This 24 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >