Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Apostrophes in this context
    by Account Closed at 12:32 on 18 August 2012
    Hi

This may not be the best constructed sentence, but it's the best I can do. It needs to be long as she's breathing out after some short and snappy sentences too.

However, I would appreciate assistance with the placement of the apostrophe in this context.

Josh is the eldest and I want the MC to think 'little Katie'. So she would naturally place Josh first. Does Josh have an apostrophe too, or is it okay as it is written?

The car screeched as it juddered to a halt and I released my breath, cursing my rash stupidity as I pictured Josh and little Katie’s reproachful faces.

Any advice given would be appreciated.

Thank you

<Added>

And she needs to name them. I can't cheat and make them the children. The emotion is key.
  • Re: Apostrophes in this context
    by Jem at 14:19 on 18 August 2012
    Sharley I wrote a reply to this and then the bloody Internet went off and I couldn't post it, so here I go again:-

I pictured Josh and little Katie’s reproachful faces.

The above suggests that you pictured Josh in his entirety but only Katie's face - I think you imagined both their faces. So grammatically you should say "Josh's and little Katie's face". But it might be better if you just turned it around and said "the faces of Josh and little katie."

<Added>

faces not face!
    by Account Closed at 14:55 on 18 August 2012
    Thanks Jem - why didn't I think of turning it around? Glad you did though. Thanks for taking the trouble to repost this.

by Jem at 15:02 on 18 August 2012
    Happy to return the favour, Sharley!
    by Account Closed at 15:24 on 18 August 2012
    Except you made it a lot less complex than I did for you
    by eve26 at 20:48 on 18 August 2012
    It worries me that I don't spot things like this. I always write as I speak and I swear it's going to catch me out...