Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Dates
    by Issy at 18:54 on 11 April 2013
    To my mind the correct written way to show a date on a poster or even in a piece of writing is 11th April 2013

But my daughter is having a disagreement with her co-workers on film posters they are putting up. They insist on writing it:

11th of April 2013.

Surely the of is never written - it's merely sort of swallowed in speech. It's not like say 7 o'clock where the o' is shown?

Any views?
  • Re: Dates
    by EmmaD at 19:06 on 11 April 2013
    I'd agree, I don't think you ever write the "of" - though I might be tempted to in dialogue, which more closely reproduces what people actually say. But I think I still wouldn't.
    by Jem at 20:50 on 11 April 2013
    Of? Of??? No. Just, no. Ask them if they've ever seen a poster with the date written thus. I think they'll find they haven't, don't you?
    by GaiusCoffey at 23:31 on 11 April 2013
    I was taught that, but I didn't believe them then and fear I'm giving into peer pressure now.
    by Issy at 23:48 on 11 April 2013
    Thank you Emma, Jem, Gaius. I also picked up several official leaflets at the theatre this evening - hoping all this is enough to convince her colleagues as their in-house posters are looking a little weird.

<Added>

And job done, thanks.
    by vosixe3076 at 19:04 on 07 April 2024
    Eligiendo https://casasdeapuestas-bolivia.com/, accedes a un ranking de las mejores casas de apuestas de Bolivia que no te defraudará. No pierda la oportunidad de experimentar la emoción y las emociones asociadas con el éxito de las apuestas, y obtenga la oportunidad de ganar cantidades decentes de dinero. También podrá apoyar a su equipo favorito apostando por su victoria.
    Edited by vosixe3076 at 19:05:00 on 07 April 2024