Login   Sign Up 

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Spelling of four-letter words
    by Account Closed at 10:10 on 30 April 2013
    According to wiki it's being abandoned as a spelling rule in UK schools because there are so many exceptions!

I was thinking about it this morning, wondering if it's something to do with the German roots of words, because they have the same rule, don't they?

In that ei words are pronounced I and ie words are pronounced ee. Like Einstein and Wiener.
    by CarolineSG at 12:30 on 01 May 2013
    Yep, it's gauge for me too and 'camouflage' gets me every time darn time.

I seem to have a weird tic of spelling 'surprise' as 'suprise' when typing, which is really odd because I have no doubts about spelling it! It's like my typing fingers don't want to put in that 'r'......
    by EmmaD at 00:12 on 02 May 2013
    I do suprise too.

Actually, I don't think I was ever taught I before E, even back in the Pleistocene era. It was just one of those things that some random friend mentioned.
    by Account Closed at 09:14 on 02 May 2013
    mustn't always looks wrong to me. Plus ain't.

For years, through high school, i spelt lawyer as lloyer, because of Lloyds Bank!
    by CarolineSG at 09:40 on 02 May 2013
    I love that, Petal!

Now then , is it me, or does it look.....weird here in WW?

All the formatting has gone a bit strange.
    by debac at 10:53 on 02 May 2013
    I was never taught the second part of that "i before e" "rule", either. Makes a difference!

Ah, like you guys with suprise, I have words I know perfectly well how to spell but my fingers have trouble. One in particular but can't think which atm... ha ha!
  • This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2