Login   Sign Up 

• I have prose, I have scenes... what are chapters???
    by debac at 17:27 on 16 June 2014
    I've nearly finished my next draft of the novel.  I haven't made chapters as I go this time - just scenes.  I have two alternating POVs. 

Any tips on how to make my chapters?  Do they need to be the same length as each other, roughly?  Can I start a chapter with one vp character and end it with another?  Would it be bad if I always started with char A and ended chaps with character B?

Help!  ;)

Deb
    PS - I have already read Emma's Itch entry, Making a Scene.  Still don't know how to handle this.  TIA.

PPS - should I put together into one chapter more than one scene from a character but keep each chapter for one vp character only?

Edited by debac at 17:33:00 on 16 June 2014
  • Re: I have prose, I have scenes... what are chapters???
    by NMott at 11:39 on 17 June 2014
    Your PPS sounds the way to go. Doesn't have to be whole scenes. Chapter partitions are pretty arbitrary; you can place one mid scene if the action warrants it, ie, there's a suitable hook that will make the reader turn the page. 

One mistake I've come across recently  is lack of continuity. MC discovers something shocking and next chapter they're waking up, feeding the cat and rushing of to work, and you're left thinking 'What happened in between?'
  • Re: I have prose, I have scenes... what are chapters???
    by debac at 17:23 on 19 June 2014
    So basically I should end every chapter on a hook?  Is that really the issue?  Thanks Naomi.