Login   Sign Up 

• Ode to Dee
    by Account Closed at 11:11 on 22 November 2003
    Dee, you are an inspiration to us all! On reading your quiery letter I was amazed by the casualness of having at least 4 more ideas!! So, thank you. You have given me that push to go for it and I have tentatively started a first novel! Maybe you could outline your methodology (if you have any) Do you start with a synopsis? Do you set yourself targets?
    Good luck with your career.
    Elspeth
  • Re: Ode to Dee
    by Dee at 11:25 on 22 November 2003
    Oh my word, Elspeth!
    What a wonderful thing to say. Thank you. I feel honoured to think I could inspire someone to start a novel.
    I'll have a think about my methodology (roughly translates as 'eek!' and get back to you later.
    Cheers
    Dee.
    by Dee at 12:32 on 22 November 2003
    OK...
    I don't start with a synopsis. I try to, but then I think of a line of dialogue or an action point and, before I know it, I've written a whole scene.
    I always start with the main characters. I give them a name and then let them grow in my mind until they are real. I know what they look like, where they live, their backgrounds, qualifications, likes and dislikes, their funny little ways. I know what they want out of life and what is troubling them.
    Then I think of a setting - as far as possible I try to use real places. I drop the characters into it, give them a conflict and see what they do. I usually have a rough idea of how the story will end but sometimes the characters take it in a completely different direction. I have found that it's best (for me anyway) if I follow their lead.
    Writing is not a linear process for me. I have to write what arrives in my head or I'd be afraid to lose it. If a scene comes to mind I write it straight away and leave it at the end of the document. At some point I find a place where it fits in. If I don't then I cut and paste it into a different folder, which I call my Doggy Bag, and save it for another story.
    I hope this is of some help. It won't suit everyone but it works for me.
    I visualise my writing as a stream. Each scene is a boulder in the stream and the water links them together, hopefully, seamlessly. Sometimes it is rushing from one to the other, sometimes it slows to a meander.

<Added>

Bugger! don't know how I did that but I lost the last bit when I posted it.
    All I wanted to add was that I hope this is helpful. It won't suit everyone, obviously, but it works for me.
    Cheers
    Dee.
    by Account Closed at 10:16 on 25 November 2003
    Thanks Dee,
    I like your method. I think I work in a similar way. I've tried being 'organised' and planning but then I lose interest in the idea! I love the idea of a doggy bag!
    I'm not sure my idea will arrive at a novel quantity of words but I will post it when I feel it is taking shape. It may end up as a short story.
    Elspeth
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:11 on 25 November 2003
    When I'm teaching, I ask my writers to start a 'Jewel Box', or Writers Toolkit, into which they might put; scraps of ideas, overheard conversations, little exercises I might give them to write in class, visual images that could inspire the beginning of a story or drama, an old photo, an object that means something- and definitely writing that isn't quite working but could be recycled. I've just had a new play commissioned, and part of it will feature a character that has lain in waiting for about 6 years, a refugee from another play that she didn't really fit into. So keep everything...
    by Dee at 15:01 on 25 November 2003
    I like that idea, Anna. I tend to stick things like that on the fridge but they get scruffy very quickly. So a nice box to sift through when I need a prod in the right direction would be very inspirational.
    Thank you.
    Dee.
    by old friend at 15:18 on 25 November 2003
    Hi Anna,
    I like the Jewel Box idea. I used to write down words, sentences, paragraph, notes, snippets... anything! Collected together in disorganised, unrelated files, my quite large 'box' has given me so many laughs and so much fun over the years for I cannot remember WHY or WHEN... I can only cry out 'Rubbish!', 'WHO wrote this?' and so on.

Your idea will certainly teach them (in years to come) not to take themselves too seriously.

Regards,

Len
    by Sue H at 06:34 on 03 December 2003
    I have an "inspiration scrapbook" which I fill with postcards, pictures from magazines, articles and anything else that might help with a stuck moment. I'm just starting to write a short story based on a picture by John Sargeant that I stuck in my scrapbook ages ago. I find I can describe things better and/or come up with new ideas more easily if I have a visual prompt and my scrapbook often helps. Does anyone else find this?
    Sue