Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Punctuation
    by Dee at 20:18 on 11 December 2003
    As some of you may know, I have, for the moment, decided not to comment on any work posted at the moment, or post any of my own work. However, at risk of having my head shot off again, I would like to make a general comment.
    It strikes me that many writers have trouble with punctuation. I still read most of the postings and can't help but think that, if the authors tidied up the punctuation, their work would be much improved.
    Correct puntuation is subliminal. We don't see it. We don't even realise it's there. But it is vital to the meaning of the writing and bad punctuation jerks the reader right out of the story. It disrupts the flow. I hate having to re-read a sentence to understand its meaning and, more often than not, I stop reading.
    Does anyone else agree with me? Or am I alone in thinking that there is room on this site for a Punctuation Group.

Dee.
  • Absolute bloody outrage!
    by geoffmorris at 20:25 on 11 December 2003
    What the hell do you mean you're not going to comment on uploaded work. I insist that you do. Indeed I demand it!

Should there be a comma after indeed? My punctuation is terrible, but my real problem is I just don't bother with it most of the time too busy whacking away at the keys to think about it.

Geoff
  • Re: Punctuation
    by Dee at 20:43 on 11 December 2003
    One - sorry Geoff but, after the savaging I got last weekend, I'm reluctant to participate. I probably will at some time in the future - but not until the bruises have healed.

Two - it's fine to hammer away without worrying about the punctuation but, when you get to the stage of wanting other people to read it, you need to make it as attractive as possible for them. And that - to my mind - means polishing the whole thing, including the punctuation.

Dee.

<Added>

ps - thanks for the implied vote of confidence. I really appreciate it.
    by old friend at 08:58 on 12 December 2003
    Tabitha raised this point a short while ago and both you ladies are absolutely correct.

When we read the work of any writer, it is the 'voice' of the writer we listen to. All the words may be in the 'right' order but it is punctuation that enables these words to become truly meaningful.

I do not see punctation as 'subliminal' but as hardly-noticed signposts that automatically trigger the way we see and understand.

I wonder what the purpose of a Punctuation Group might be? But if you want to have an exercise in punctuation try it on the following:-

'Johnny had had had Peter had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher'

Len

<Added>

Added

Sorry, I got it wrong (so many years ago) it should have been:-

'Johnny had had had Peter had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher'

Len
    by Account Closed at 12:35 on 12 December 2003
    I refuse to believe that that particular sentence can EVER make sense.
    by bluesky3d at 12:47 on 12 December 2003
    Err ok this is my attempt - it means Johnny wrote "had". But Peter wrote "had had", which the teacher liked better.

Johnny had had "had". Peter had had "had had". "Had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

But maybe there are some commas to go in there somewhere - I dunno?
    by old friend at 13:06 on 12 December 2003
    Well done , that's it! You are too clever for me.

Len
    by bluesky3d at 13:22 on 12 December 2003
    Len - I just discovered your 'Look before you leap' elaboration - it was excellent (on the Wordiness Forum)

- so I took the liberty to have a go too – for those interested see - http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/65_3994.asp?spage=3
    by Richardwest at 18:55 on 14 December 2003
    Well I (thankfully)missed wotever it was that triggered this thread and it's ancient history anyway but I'm with Geoff here about you not commenting or uploading or anything because its a proper bloody outrage so come back there's nothing to forgive and just a minute what were you saying about punctuation or something????

Richard
    by Dee at 19:15 on 14 December 2003
    We-ell... I'm starting to weaken. It's not in my nature to keep silent...
    Dee.
    x
    by Richardwest at 20:11 on 14 December 2003
    Oh go on. Weaken weaken!
    by Tabitha at 21:16 on 14 December 2003
    A panda eats, shoots and leaves...

Lynne Truss.

:-)
    by Richardwest at 10:21 on 15 December 2003
    Right on. But hey, we don't want Dee to do that!
    by Elspeth at 12:03 on 15 December 2003
    Come on Dee.
    Back in the saddle and all that.
    It's Christmas! So save yourself from tone deaf carol singers, Delia Smith's Christmas Banquet, and Cliff Richard's latest attempt to create a weapon of mass destruction.
    Time for a new beginning methinks...
    Katie

<Added>

Oh, punctuation. Yes, all for it. Very important.
    by Dee at 14:23 on 15 December 2003
    OK! OK!
    I give in. Only problem is, I don't think I've got anything worth posting... but I'll see what's new and maybe offer a word... or seven.

Dee