Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Speling errars
    by Dee at 13:04 on 20 December 2003
    Are we all too reliant on our spellcheckers?
    I'm surprised at the number of spelling errors I see in the forums - and I'm just as guilty as anyone else!
    One or two seem to crop up regularly, especially the word 'definitely', ususally mis-spelled as 'definately' I used to have the same problem until I realised it has the word 'finite' at its centre.
    I'm sure we all have these little memory-joggers(there's a word for them but I can't remember what it is...hmmm) and thought it might be interesting to share them.
    'One collar and two socks' for necessary. That sort of thing... come on... keep working... it's not crimbo yet.

Dee

• Re: Speling errars
    by Tim Darwin at 14:28 on 20 December 2003
    The real function of the spelling checker, in my experience, is to suggest lively replacements for foreign words and unusual place names. Among recent favourite suggestions from my brainless computer:

1. In place of melanze parmigiana, (a superior Italian dish in which I regard myself as something of an expert), my PC insisted I meant melange ptarmigan--which sounds like what you get when a bird strikes a propeller.

2. I don't believe anything Donald Rumsfeld has ever said, but my PC doesn't believe he exists, though Donald Rusted does, apparently.

3. My PC has also turned the notorious Tora Bora caves of Afghanistan into the distinctly improbable Torah Boar

I'm sure others can add their own favourites to this list.

by steve at 14:41 on 20 December 2003
    I'm always getting past and passed wrong, I have a real problem with these two words. The thing is, I know I'm doing it.

Steve
    by Dee at 14:47 on 20 December 2003
    Oh yes!
    I work in a company which is a workers cooperative so we don't have the normal hierarchical structure. Instead of managers we have Function Area Co-ordinators, commonly referred to as Facs. My PC always offers the word faeces as an alternative. Sure it’s trying to tell us something...

Dee
    )

<Added>

Feel I ought to point out that the opening Oh Yes! is in response to Tim's posting, and not a comment on Steve's problem!
    by Sue H at 20:17 on 21 December 2003
    No - it's the predictive thing that microsoft word has that really really irritates me! Try typing "Dear Mr (or Mrs or Ms - whatever) and you get the helpful suggestion of "Dear Mom and Dad". It drives me spare! Mom? Mom? And I've got the European English not the American English too!! It fact it annoys me so much that I need some more exclamation marks!!!!!!
    Sue
    by Dee at 20:28 on 21 December 2003
    Can understand that. Here's a few more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But... not sure what you're on. I'm on Windows XP, just tried Mrs, Mr, Ms. Got no bad reaction. Are you sure you're set to UK English...?

Hopefully helpfully,
    Dee.
    by Sue H at 20:41 on 21 December 2003
    Yes but only have windows 98. Obviously XP got a bit more sophisticated.

<Added>

I take - don't know what you're on - to mean what version of windows? Or do you mean am I taking any hallucinogenics? Does Chardonnay count?
    by Dee at 20:56 on 21 December 2003
    Chardonnay? Chardonnay? I'm talking really heavy stuff here... Cabernet Sauvignon...

Windows 98? phfffttt!!!

by Account Closed at 14:54 on 22 December 2003
    Dee wrote:
    I'm surprised at the number of spelling errors I see in the forums

Indeed.
    Dee wrote:
    ...ususally...

Oh, sweet irony
    by Dee at 14:59 on 22 December 2003
    Oh bums!!