Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• he said / she said
    by Sue H at 20:20 on 21 December 2003
    Ok - dialogue. Do you go for he said / she said or said Mark / said Mildred? And do your characters say, reply, retort? What best draws attention to the dialogue itself rather than the writing. I have to say it leaves me very confused, red pen hovering all over the place.
    Sue
  • Re: he said / she said
    by Dee at 20:49 on 21 December 2003
    OK Sue, I've had this drilled into me. You asked for it, girl....

No, seriously: the generally accepted form is she/he said. (please - to save me some angst - from here on, read 'he' as 'she or he' or he or she, whichever.)Apparently - and I have to say I agree with this - readers just don't see 'he said' etc.

You shoudn't need to draw attention to the dialogue. If it's not obvious from the writing that it's dialogue you have a major problem - which I'm sure you don't, Sue.

To get back to the gist of your question... 'said he' sounds dreadfully Victorian (much as I love the period). Just don't use it. There is something subliminal about 'he said'. Readers don't notice it. They absorb it and skim on to the next bit. But 'said he' stops them in their tracks. As does 'he responded' and 'he retorted'.

I suppose the bottom line is that,if your writing captures the atmosphere of the scene, it should be clear from the dialogue itself who is saying what and you shouldn't need to clarify it

Hope this helps.
    Dee.
    by Sue H at 20:52 on 21 December 2003
    I was afraid you'd say that! Off to buy a big bundle of red pens...
    But thank you anyway!
    Sue
    by Tim Darwin at 22:58 on 21 December 2003
    I cautiously stick my head above the parapet to wave the flag for theatre writing. If a piece is really 'heavy' on dialogue, stage might be an option.

Actually, the serious point here is: why don't more writers explore drama as a medium?

by dryyzz at 08:08 on 22 December 2003
    The rule I've had drummed into me, is that if you need to add an adjective/adverb into your dialogue appropriation, then your dialogue isn't doing what it should. Modify the dialogue, not the appropriation.

Fight the need to insert more the 'he/she said'. at least, that's what I do.

Darryl