Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • What makes a novel compelling?
    by bluesky3d at 09:28 on 23 December 2003
    So what are those magic ingredients that make a novel a page-turner? What sustains the interest of the reader? What makes the reader care about what happens? What gives the reader a sense of involvement? What will make an agent or a publisher want to publish your novel?
  • Re: What makes a novel compelling?
    by Jubbly at 09:35 on 23 December 2003
    Blimey Andrew, I tuned in for some relaxing gossip and you've gone all serious. Well, I might be shot down in flames but after the result of the BBC's Good Read comp, I know nothing. Though I do think some of the answers might be subjectivity, fashion, finnancial potential and authors reputation to name just a few.
    by Account Closed at 10:16 on 23 December 2003
    The ongoing Star Wars novels are an example to consider here. I've read a lot of them.

What makes it a real page-turner? It's Star Wars.

What makes me care what happens? It's Star Wars.

Why do publishers want to print it? It's Star Wars.

Are the books really any good? Most aren't anything special, the only good Star Wars books are those written by Timothy Zahn - even the most avid Star Wars novel fan will admit this. But still, they're all Star Wars novels, and so will sell regardless of how good (or not) they are.
    by bluesky3d at 11:05 on 23 December 2003
    The question was posed in this ‘techniques forum’ because it might be useful to keep in mind the main factors to remember when writing, if we want it to be successful. So what are the qualities of Star Wars that made it successful, or relevant in 1976 or even now?

Fashion, I agree Jumbo, is certainly one thing - it has to be relevant and part of the zeitgeist of the time - to pick up on the mood, and preferably be one step ahead of it, in fundamental ideas, in topics covered and style. Just like a car, it has to look and feel 'now'.

So I agree, that is one button to hit - amongst s few others on the control consol of the starcruiser.
    by Ellenna at 12:48 on 23 December 2003
    From one Readers POV.
    .As you start reading you have to feel comfortable that the scene is where you want to be.. you need to identify with the character(s)...it has to take you out of reality but it must feel real..it can be one step ahead of your own reality.. or it can take you into a wonderful world of how you would LIKe things to be or where you know you would never dare to be..for me I need to be engrossed in the personalities so that I become one..and as a reader I like to feel almost one step ahead of the narrator..but to be swept along and kept "fed". I love layers..I love descriptive prose..I love introspection..I don't necessarily need twists or clever plots.. I like simplicity explored. Beautifully written for me explores the human emotions... but is able to bubble up to the surface too and be lighthearted and weave about.
    This is sooo general though and one dimensional too... I am not sure that it answers the question at all !

From just one reader..

Ellie
    by Jumbo at 13:37 on 23 December 2003
    From my own experience as a reader, I would say that some continuing sense of 'reality' is essential. Or, to shake the stick from the other end, a lack of 'reality' in character, setting, dialogue or action is a no-no for me, and would probaby result in me abandoning the book.

And having said that, one of the biggest killers for me is the forced coincidence, where two characters from London come across each other in crowded Central Park, New York. If that meeting doesn't have a ring of 'reality' about it, the book gets dropped!

So, a sense of reality is number one for me!

John
    by Tim Darwin at 15:10 on 23 December 2003
    Pretty high on my list of what makes a novel compelling is what I call 'companionability' of the narrative voice. I need to feel very early on some sense of the 'voice' of the narrator (it doesn't matter if the piece is entirely 3rd-person omniscient, that voice is every bit as much present as in a 1st person narration--it comes through in choice of detail, rhythm of language, pace of events, focus, and a myriad of other barely tangible qualities), and it has to appeal in some way for me to commit to undertake a journey in the company of that voice.

This is not at all the same thing as liking the narrator, I don't at all need a sense that this is a tale told me by someone I would like in some significant personal sense. Think of it more as how you evaluate the chatty stranger who takes the previously empty seat next to you at the outset of a lengthy air journey: is this a crashing, self-preoccupied boor (then o!, what a wretched journey lies ahead), or a perceptive and interesting individual who can speak well of things that are new and interesting?

Don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but there it is, I've thrown my tuppence into the pot!
    by Dee at 15:38 on 23 December 2003
    I get the impression that, to be a successful novelist these days, you have to be dead.

Sorry! I'll be more serious and, hopefully, coherent in a few minutes. I've just had a pispotical day at work. Back in a mo.

Dee
    by bluesky3d at 15:43 on 23 December 2003
    Tim - I agree that a sense of 'the voice' of the author is important. Is the voice friendly and inviting? A sense of the expression of the individual personality of the author is a must.
    by Sue H at 18:30 on 23 December 2003
    I can't comment on what makes an agent or publisher want to publish your novel - wouldn't life be so much easier I could!? For me, though, reading is and always has been a form of escapism. You need to identify with the characters - they need to become real people otherwise you don't care what happens to them and won't finish the book. The characters, I think, are the key. The most beautiful/unusual/atmospheric setting is nothing without "real" characters to bring it to life. When I was reading books as a child - Narnia for example - I wanted to be there with the children and the books were written in such a visual way that I could imagine that I was there. Even now I expect this sort of visualisation from a book - although the inevitable movies seem to weaken this. You do need to care about your characters but most importantly you need to "see" them and know them.
    Sue
    by bluesky3d at 08:42 on 24 December 2003
    Yes Sue - you imply there might be different reasons for an agent or publisher to take on an author from the reasons a reader might enjoy reading a book? A sense of involvement in the characters is one of the the magic ingredients from the reader's point of view for sure - so that has to be added to the list.
    by Sue H at 08:58 on 24 December 2003
    All comes down to money I expect! How many books have been written that a reader would enjoy if only the book had the chance to be published? Full lists, changing markets, cuts in budgets all must make a difference to how many books/authors are taken on.

From everything I've read, agents/publishers want polished books from authors that have a long shelf life (as in long term writing rather than books left on the bookshop shelves unsold!). There are so many submissions per day that your book has to grip from paragraph one. An original angle, an interesting story line, strong believable characters all matter. If publishers/agents are going to invest time and money into an author, they want to know that they are going to get more than one book and that they don't have to wait 5 years for it.

God, I've depressed myself now. If anyone does find the magic formula, please can they let me know? I'm off to Bournemouth for a snow-free (probably) Christmas!

Sue
    by bluesky3d at 10:19 on 24 December 2003
    As I started this I’ll sum up the ingredients needed so far

from reader’s viewpoint (in no particular order)–

* Feels of its time
    * The author’s voice and personality comes through
    * The characters are involving and the reader identifies with them
    * A sense of reality or ‘being there’ situation, place, character and dialogue
    * Is multidimensional-dimensionally layered

From agent/publisher’s viewpoint –

* Has longevity
    * Author will write other work that will be as good

hmmm not sure 'being dead' helps with the TV, radio and bookshop promotions? ;o)

<Added>

oops one to many dimensions there - is what's meant the story should contain something of the universal about it - an underlying truth - a bigger message?
    by bluesky3d at 10:33 on 24 December 2003
    Dee - sounds like a great plot for a novel - an author fakes their own death in order to see whether they become more popular?
    by Dee at 17:11 on 24 December 2003
    Brilliant idea Andrew! I'll start plotting it now...
    I was going to say that Stephen King has already done it in The Dark Half, but that was his leading character he killed off... only he wouldn't stay dead. I can recommend it if you want the st frightened out of you...

What do I think makes a novel compelling? You have to really want to know what's on the next page. How does a writer do that? If only I knew...

Dee.

• This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >