Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Rewrites and first instincts
    by Daisy at 18:16 on 11 January 2004
    Having just (fairly quickly) written a piece for the random line story generator, and done minor revisions, one of the comments from a member was to ask if I should consider not naming the main character.

This was how I first wrote the piece. Also, I later added two lines (one of which didn't upload on the first attempt - I was probably copying from the saved piece rather than the amended piece - I always keep the original when I change a piece of writing as I am not sure if the amended piece will be better).

Anyhow, these changes are the pieces that people have commented may not be neccessary. Granted I have not set the piece aside for any lenght of time before revising, but is there a case for staying with your initial idea, and revising only how it is written - rather than adding and amending significant pieces. Although I have written a fair amount, it is only recently that I have started trying to write formal pieces of writing rather than journal style ramblings, so although I have read a lot about the editing process, the practice of it is new to me.

Any thought would be welcomed.
  • Re: Rewrites and first instincts
    by Account Closed at 18:32 on 11 January 2004
    Daisy,

If it's any help to you, there's a brilliant book about writing, called 'On Writing', by Stephen King. You can get it in paperback and they sell truck loads of them. Regardless of whether you like horror or Stephen King, it is an excellent little book about the writing craft. It contains some wonderful tips for writers and I have named it my writing bible, it's simply that good. King never revises something until he's left in a draw, six weeks after he's finsished it. He suggests that six weeks is a long enough piece of time to be able to look at what you've written with fresh eyes etc.

I hope this bit of info. helps you, the book most certainly will. I think, and I'm no one to even begin to comment, that revising something is to take your writing to it's extreme possibilities in the story you are telling. To be able to fix any plot holes, mistakes, errors, whatever and make the writing a solid piece of writing. If people suggest taking things out, or adding, think carefully because remember, you're the writer and you are the one that has to feel satisfied and happy with the finsished piece. The reader is just a reader and King suggests that the aim of all good writing is to make the reader unaware that they aren't reading. Hope some of this helps, just do what you feel right in what you write and you cant fail.

Welcome to WW, it's a great place to get feedback.

Steven McNay
    by olebut at 18:54 on 11 January 2004
    I am sorry if this seems trite but it isn't meant to be, there is an old saying from whence it came I can't recall ( may have been W.S Churchill) which says

never chnage anything unless it is for the better

my point is that it is easy to change things based on re reading or other peoples comments but you have to be absolutley sure you are improving it not detracting from it.

I go along with Stephen Kings view, although I didn't know it was his, but it is normally what I do anyway, so I bow to Mr King

I have also found it very rewarding to read aloud any piece I write this can often highlight where something doesn't flow or is clumsy

hope this is helpful

take care

david

by Dee at 19:39 on 11 January 2004
    All good advice so far. It's very easy to listen to one critic after another, keep changing your story to suit their suggestions and, before you know it, the whole thing doesn't make sense.

A couple more tips which I've mentioned before you joined - sorry if I'm boring anyone:

Always print out your work and edit it on paper - believe me, it looks very different to the way it appears on screen.

Get someone else to read it out aloud. If you read your own work you know how to pace it. Someone else, who doesn't know your writing, only has the words on the paper to guide them. It tells you a lot...

Cheers
    Dee

by James Anthony at 21:26 on 11 January 2004
    All I would add is that you are writing your story. Your not writing my story, or anyone elses' on this forum. If the story that you want to write is the one that you have written then keep it. These comments we all make are our opinions and if you think they mess up the story don't change them because of us!

Obviously that's not to say that people don't have good and interesting points (invariably these people are not me), so have the presence of mind to take those into account while keeping it your story.

Bloody mindedness can be good in small measures I think.
    by Jumbo at 23:12 on 11 January 2004
    Daisy

You ask if there is a case for staying with your initial idea, and revising only how it is written - rather than adding and amending significant pieces.

The answer to that question is that there is no answer to that question. It's a bit like the old adage that states there are only three rules for writing good fiction; only problem is that no-one knows what the three rules are!!

However, I believe that you have to be prepared to change anything that weakens or detracts from your piece. That might mean changing the style in which it was written; it might mean changing the basic story idea - or the beginning - or the ending. It will certainly mean examining the piece and ensuring that every word is working for you - and deleting any that are not - or even those suspected of not working.

I would also recommend Stephen Kings book (I reviewed it in the Books forum).

Finally, never feel obliged to accept anyone's opinion. And remember the three rules!

Hope this helps (But it is, after all, only my opinion!)

John
    by Daisy at 08:39 on 12 January 2004
    I have read 'On Writing', although it was some time ago, and I quite fancy revisiting it. As I recall it was a fabulous book, but I don't think some of his techniques would work for me - the idea of taking a 'what if' situation and seeing where it leads itself is scarier to me than a lot of his novels....
    by Jumbo at 09:39 on 12 January 2004
    A bit scarey, yes I agree. But King's 'what if' method is not so very far from Dee & Co's Randon Line Story Generator. From a single thought you have to come up with a scenario and push out from there!

What if a woman was about to open a car door when she changed her mind about something?

Go on, have a go at it! It's good fun - once you get over the inital pain!

Best of luck

John

<Added>

This of course is totally ambiguous! What I meant to say is, have a go at a different what if scenario!
    Methinks I'm just digging this hole deeper and deeper.
    I'll shut up now!
    John

by dryyzz at 16:16 on 12 January 2004
    Interestingly,

Creating a series of 'What If's' -and the more unusual the better- is the only way I can think of scenario's to write about. Sometimes I have too many 'What if's' which tend to dilute any solid direction I may be working in.

But that is just me

Darryl