Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • How long is ten minutes?
    by SamMorris at 16:12 on 18 January 2004
    Listening to 'tut wireless this afternoon I heard about a competition that involves writing a short script suitable for the radio. Never tried anything script like before, but thought I might be interesting have a go. I’m not going to book any time of work just yet though (the prize is a trip to a certain event next year in Portugal)

One of the guidelines is that the piece has to be about 10 minuets long. I know that’s about as long as it takes me to walk to the corner shop, buy some milk and come back. However, if I were to try and estimate how many words that amounts to I would not have a clue.

Any Ideas?
  • Re: How long is ten minutes?
    by Sue H at 16:26 on 18 January 2004
    Read something aloud for ten minutes and count the amount of words you read. Possibly while walking to the corner shop, at the risk of looking insane! Or alternatively ask someone who knows about script writing!!
    Good luck with it though.
    Sue
    by Jubbly at 17:00 on 18 January 2004
    Sam, a ten minute script is around 2000 words. I know that a half hour script which actually comes down to 26 min before you add the intro and outro is 6000.

Hope that helps

Julie
    by SamMorris at 17:52 on 18 January 2004
    Hello,

Thanks for the responses Sue and Julie. I did try walking to the shop whilst talking to myself but had stopped listening by the time I got to the end of my front garden. Its not a big one, maybe my wife has a point after all…

2000 words sounds good to me. Much less than I thought, although I imagine that actually acting something take a lot longer than reading it.

Thanks again

Sam
    by Jubbly at 18:08 on 18 January 2004
    Sam, don't forget to write the sound effects , they take time too. Good luck.
    by Account Closed at 18:54 on 18 January 2004
    Sam, if you look on the bbc writersroom, they give you guidelines and even a format programme (scriptsmart). In the correct format, a page is 50 secs to 1 min.
    I thought I might have a bash too when i read the line:

Did you fall in love at a match? Did you have a sudden realisation whilst watching the World snooker final? Whatever your story we want to hear it.

So, as long as it doesn't have to have much to do with sport...
    Elspeth
    by SamMorris at 19:26 on 18 January 2004
    (chink – slurp. Rustle rustle. Click. Click, tap, tap, tapperty tap)

Thanks Julie – I think I’ll need it!

Elspeth, I'll have a look at the site. The only realisation I can imagine having at a snooker match is, 'hang on – I don't even like snooker, what am i doing here?' How about writing something about falling love at a snooker match - now there’s a challenge!

Sam
    by Dee at 19:34 on 18 January 2004
    Oh Sam! I laughed until I cried when I read that! So much, in fact, that RCN wanted to know what I was snorting at.

ee

ps - I love snooker! The waistcoats, the cues, the balls...

maybe I'd better stop there...
    by Account Closed at 20:01 on 18 January 2004
    Yeah, good one Sam! I used to live in Sheffield and had a housemate who bet on an outsider for a snooker championship. The guy went on to win and I had to go and collect his winnings. Now THAT was a scary experience. Betting shop regulars. We used to watch Bullseye too. How about falling in love at a darts match... with one of the players... No, that's getting ridiculous.
    I can feel a randomesque challenge coming on...
    by Friday at 20:14 on 18 January 2004
    Sam,

How about falling in Love at a CURLING event?

Something interesting must happen there.

Good luck with it.

Dawn,
    by SamMorris at 20:44 on 18 January 2004
    I heard a great quote about one of the players at a recent darts tornament final. Apparently he had hair you could fry chips on and arms like kentucky fried chicken bargin buckets. Maybe he's got great personality though!

Curling, now that is tough. Perhaps you could be so blown away by their sweeping technique that you just had to take them home with you to help clean up. Perhaps not...

As for snooker, there is always that man who appears every so often to polish the balls in his immaculate white gloves. Wonder what he writes on forms under 'occupation'
    by Dee at 20:44 on 18 January 2004
    Oh... those... er... big lumpy things with handles... and the brushy things... oh yes... sexy...

ee

<Added>

Feel I ought to add... I'm talking about curling, not the bloke in the white gloves...
    by Account Closed at 21:11 on 18 January 2004
    SFX - THUD, SLURPING OF BEER, BURP, THUD, FART, SNIFF, NERVOUS COUGH, THUD.

COMMENTATOR: One hundred and eighty!

VOLLEY CLAPPING AND CHEERING

SALLY: Look at the KFT's on him.

DEBBIE: Ooh I could take 'im 'ome any day. Give 'im a squeeze, 'ave a good fry up...

To be continued...
    by Account Closed at 11:27 on 19 January 2004
    Sorry, I must be slow, what is going on next year in Portugal that has tickets available to be won now?
    by SamMorris at 18:19 on 19 January 2004
    The event is Euro 2004. Men and balls and all that carry on. Looking forward to it myself, but I know a lot of people who aren't that keen.
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >