Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Present tense - talk me out of it...
    by J.Svard at 12:20 on 23 January 2004

Hi all - my first post.

When I write I tend to write in first person, present tense. It all just comes very natural for me. Is there anything I should consider when writing i present tense?
    Or should I maybe not do that at all?

I'm a Swedish writer, and there seems to be very few if any books written by Swedes in present tense. So maybe publishers will think it's too much "Bret Easton Ellis" (a big seller here in Sweden)?

So, a few questions about present tense there - and forgive me for asking in a forum that is non-native to me, but I've yet to find any Swedish forums. And forgive any misstakes with my English.

/Joakim
  • Re: Present tense - talk me out of it...
    by Dee at 16:21 on 23 January 2004
    Hi Joakim and welcome to WW.

It's the quality of your writing which is most relevant. get that right and the tense/POV won't matter.

Perhaps you could upload a sample for us to read?

Dee.
    by Daisy at 16:46 on 23 January 2004
    Great idea dee - tell me, how good is your swedish

I agree with Dee, I think writing in the present tense can be fabulous when done well. In my opinion it is harder - showing the passage of time and suchlike isn't so straightforward. But if it works for you, then go for it.
    by word`s worth at 17:05 on 23 January 2004
    Joakim hello,

Your English is bra! (erm...that's 'good' in Swedish ya? I hope it is!) For a start it'll be a whole lot better than my Swedish...welcome to WW!

I agree with Dee, it's the quality of your work and the story you're telling that determines whether it's enjoyable to read regardless of what tense you use. I too say, upload some of your work, it'll be easier to give you more accurate advice ).

Come on in...the water is lovely!

Nahed
    by Dee at 21:46 on 23 January 2004
    Jag kan inte tala Svenska

With apologies to Joakim… I was taught that forty years ago… never got any further.

ee.
    by Jumbo at 23:38 on 23 January 2004
    Well, you appear to have succeeded in frightening Joakim off!

I don't know if it's something you said.

John
    by Dee at 08:23 on 24 January 2004
    I have that effect on a lot of people... dunno why...

by anisoara at 22:02 on 25 January 2004
    Hi Joakim --

I actually prefer present tense, both as a reader and a writer. It feels more immediate. Of course, if you are not seeking immediacy, you might want to avoid the present tense....

(By the way, my very first post -- not sure if I should have come in this way!!!)

Hope to see you in the future!

Anne Marie
    by dryyzz at 08:05 on 26 January 2004
    Present tense prose does of course limit your narrative tools, especially in first person POV.

You cannot set up a scenario and have your character walk into it. Because how would he know that situation existed.

I do like that method of prose but feel it gives a blinkered view of the world. Fine if you're doing some very inmslar/gothic psychological piece. But difficult to use for everyday story telling.

My opinion anyway

Darryl
    by J.Svard at 08:17 on 26 January 2004
    Thank's everyone!
    - And no, I probably won't submit anything for you to see since my first language is Swedish, and probably couldn't translate my writing to English in a way so that it reflects my writing in Swedish.

Dryyzz: You have a few points there.

I'll do what they told me at another place and try to write a chapter in both present tense and the same chapter in past tense and see if present tense gives me what past tense can give me.
    Or, maybe, I'm just not able to switch to past tense like that since all my writing has been present tense only this far.

Thank's again!

/Joakim.

by Tabitha at 23:43 on 31 January 2004
    You clearly enjoy writing this way,so why do you want to be talked out of it? If someone has told you they don't like it, accept that you can't please all the people all of the time, and do what YOU want to do, not what THEY say you SHOULD do! :-)