Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Second in a series
    by Sue H at 09:29 on 29 January 2004
    Here I am writing a new book. All very exciting (for me anyway!). It follows on from the last one in that the two main characters, Faye and Jack, are in the new one. This is all new to me and I'm not sure whether I should write the new book as a totally stand alone book or presume (rather arrogantly I suppose) that the reader has read the first one? Yes, OK, I am writing with the optimistic view that everything I write will be published. F&J mention places and events, albeit briefly, from the first book and I'm not sure how much I need to explain.
    Sue
    PS - where's that word frequency counter? new, new, new.
  • Re: Second in a series
    by Ralph at 14:30 on 29 January 2004
    Sue
    Sounds excellent. I hope it's going really well for you.
    If it's any help, I think the standard thing to do in this situation (if there is such a thing as a standard??) is to assume that the reader, naturally, has already devoured the first book - but that they have either
    a) sped read, desperate to get to part two or
    b) been hanging out for that sequal long enough to have forgotten the intricacies of volume 1. That way it will be clear enough for the people who don't know without being too repetitive for the ones who do. And if there is a little bit of mystery, maybe the skinflints amongst your audience will be persuaded to invest in the previous novel as well.
    All the best with it
    Huggs
    Ralph
  • Re: Second in a series
    by heather jr at 16:30 on 29 January 2004
    Hi Sue/Ralph
    I've finally found my way to this forum! I'm in exactly the same position Sue. I'm up to ch 4 of a second book that is a sequel to the first - although there is a new storyline the relationships between the main characters continue to develop directly from the first one. I decided I really couldn't fill page after page with background, but on the other hand it is very tricky making the events and dialog 'standalone'.
    In the end I asked myself - would this book be at all interesting to a new reader? if not, its flogging a dead horse - if so, then the continuation should only be a minor problem. So far I think I have managed to crack it. For example, crucial terminology explained by a word or two in brackets. But only time and a read through will tell. I'd love to know how your thoughts pan out on it.
    H