Login   Sign Up 

• Realistic Dialogue
    by Jumbo at 16:56 on 30 January 2004
    Does anyone know of somewhere I can get help about making dialogue realistic in respect of the ethnic origin of the character?

In my current work-in-progress I have a number of Muslim characters but I have a feeling that their English is just 'too' English! I think I'm looking for those little nuances that will tell the reader that English isn't the first, or the only, language of the character - things like word order, greetings, swear words, etc. (You might be able to tell that I am choosing my words very carefully here (too PC sensitive, perhaps) but I hope that what I have said hasn't offended anyone!)

I suppose the same goes for local dialects as well. Cornish, Cockney, Liverpudlian, etc. Is there a reference book in need of writing, here, I wonder?

Any help, hints or sugestions, gratefully received.

Thanks, John.
  • Re: Realistic Dialogue
    by Sue H at 18:37 on 30 January 2004
    Blimey, that's a tough one! There must be a muslim community magazine or something that you could approach. I bet they'd be happy to help. Let me ask him upstairs who happens to do PR in the music biz if he knows..... will get back to you.
    Sue

<Added>

Ok so that was a crap idea apparently! He reckons you should go to a mosque or local community centre and ask them?! Depends where you live I suppose. Nowhere near Finsbury Park??? There must be websites. The only thing is how to approach people isn't it? Sorry - not very helpful after all.....
    by word`s worth at 20:26 on 30 January 2004
    Jumbo...

Just because I sabeak good English does not mean I don'ta-know how an Arab person who duz not sabeak English as a mazer tongue sabeaks...do yoo know what I mean?

I can also help with the swear words (as long as you don't tell my mum) and how Muslims would greet each other, their behaviour, etiquette, cultural common backgrounds etc...

I'm a little confused thought, if the dialogue is between two non-English speaking people in Arabic for example...then it should be written in normal English but suggested that they're speaking in another language. Unless you mean the dialogue is between Muslims who don't necessarily speak Arabic and can only communicate in English as a common language? Also don't forget that there are many Arabs who speak perfect English but with an Arab accent. And...also those who speak Arabic and English without a trace of an accent - it's those ones you need to watch out for

I can't believe you didn't ask me before Jumbs!

Nahed x
    by word`s worth at 20:33 on 30 January 2004
    http://www.culturalorientation.net/iraqi/ienglish.html

Above is a link to a website that might be of help...there's a chapter on Arab/Iraqi phrases too and how we (Arabs/Muslims) greet each other etc.

I only had a brief look at it, but it looks helpful. I'll look for some more.

Wordy x
    by word`s worth at 20:49 on 30 January 2004
    Jumbo,

Unless you're going to tag a certain nationality on your character you're going to have to becareful about using 'informal' Arabic because each country has it's own dialect/variation from Arabic. ie. Kayfak? 'How are you' (to a man) would usually be used by Lebanese/Palestinians/Iraqi's/Syrian's where as 'Izayak' would be used by Egyptians, 'Kayf Hallak' by Libyans and some other countries use 'Aysh Lonak'.

So it would be best to limit it to Muslim references as they remain the same whichever country you're looking at i.e. Inshallah (if God wills it), Bismallah (In the name of God), Illhamdullilah (Thanks be to God) etc which are used regularly in Arab dialogue regardless of religion or nationality.
    by Jumbo at 23:33 on 30 January 2004
    Sue

Thanks for your suggestions with this. I had the same thought and tried the Internet but realised it was a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. I didn't even know which question to throw at the search engines.

Then, as you can see, Wordy turns up so much info I'm going to have to ask her to slow down!

Thanks for your help, Sue

Regards

John
    by Jumbo at 23:44 on 30 January 2004
    Nahed,

Well, you've done it again, haven't you. It's going to take me about three months to trawl through this lot. I really do appreciate this! Thanks!

The reason I didn't ask you before was because it sounded like you had a pretty hectiic other-life going on, and I didn't want to become a b****y nuisance. (Was that enough *'s?)

I think you're right when you say that I should perhaps use a couple of the Muslim words that cut across religion and nationality. I'll also have a look at the website you pointed me at.

Once again, thanks very much

John x
    by word`s worth at 00:01 on 31 January 2004
    John,

Have sent you an email.

I'm more than happy to do anything I can to try and bridge the massive gap in general knowledge and understanding that exists between the Western and Arab World. I know this is only a small part I play but if it means doing away with stereotypes that bombard impressionable minds via Hollywood, and help portrays something of substance and reality in what is certainly a great story like Exit 21 then that's alright by me.

So if you need to ask anything at all, don't be shy John. Drop me an email.

Nahed

by Jumbo at 00:10 on 31 January 2004
    Thanks, wordy. You're a real Pal! Palette? Paless?

More caffeine please, nurse!

John x
    by Becca at 11:07 on 01 February 2004
    Hi John, just to say, it's not your characters being Islamic, but what country they are from. Also, if it proved a serious problem in the story, you could have them speaking in English with say London style speech. The Bengali people I work and play wirh speak 'young people's London slang.' So the point is, your fundamentalists could also be Londoners. Don't know how useful it is to point this out, just a thought.
    by Jumbo at 11:14 on 01 February 2004
    Becca.

Yes, as Wordy says, for many of these people English is, or is almost, their first language! And the 'London slang' is also a great suggestion.

Thanks again

John