Login   Sign Up 

This 73 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5  > >  
  • Re: RLG 2004
    by Sue H at 06:42 on 12 March 2004
    Splendid stuff and glad to see that I'm doing June. My birthday month too!
    Sue
    by olebut at 08:02 on 12 March 2004
    oh well too late for me to join then and I was so looking forward to december
    by Jumbo at 08:37 on 12 March 2004
    Nah!! Never too late! Come aboard!
    by Colin-M at 09:31 on 12 March 2004
    How about:

RLG - the place they like to keep all the trouble makers who might intimidate newcomers. If you fancy showing some freedom of thought, imagination or personality - that's the place for you!

sorry 'bout that - couldn't resist.

Just a note about the December RLG - is that to have all of the RLGs in the correct order, but not necessarily consecutive, or all bunched up at the front. If they are all bunched up it might just be confusing, but if they are spaced out, then it really would be a challenge to include as many, or all, in the order they were posted.

or is that what the idea was and I just missed it?

Colin M (just woke up)
    p.s. - hey, Dee. That's the second time we have posted mails on the forum at exactly the same minute - this time 7:28 - eeek (doo-doo--dah-dah--doo-doo--dah-dah)
    by Dee at 10:10 on 12 March 2004
    We-ird, Colin, very weird…

This December piece is in danger of being either incredibly long or completely nonsensical but we did agree that all the lines would be in the correct order. How we drip-fed them into the piece will be interesting… vairrrry eenteresting…

Dee

by tinyclanger at 12:23 on 12 March 2004
    Hi all,
    (special Hi for Jumb, since he asked...no, not bin diggin; ground too soggy or too hard, wind too damn cold. Been watching Spring unfold from my window, though..very poetic. And makng friends with a squirrel)

December's RLG wil be a riot! If anyone can get them all within even the same paragraph, i'll eat my spade.
    (tc's thoughts flash to Jumb and Richard..feels may regret that remark).

I do prefer Colin's explanation of RLG-land to the official one. David's is a bit dry and boring...but I guess given we're dealing with WW speak it's the raciest we're going to get..
    I'm still unclear how it will get on the main page - do I put it there, (as in start a thread which will just consisit of the paragraph, directing people where to go) or will David do it as a special addition to the main Forum Page?
    x
    tc
    by Jumbo at 22:20 on 12 March 2004
    Hi

I think it needs to be pointed out that the draft introductory paragraph was NOT David's work. It was written initially By Richard West and I amended his version following tc's comment about the use of the word 'story'.

Call me a party-pooper but I would have some difficulty with Colin's version, especially the phrase

the place they like to keep all the trouble makers who might intimidate newcomers

which, personally, I think is unecessary. But, of course, that is only my opinion, and I am but one voice amongst the crowd.

If anyone else has suggestions about the introduction, or feel we should use Colin's version, I'm sure you'll let us know.

In answer to your question, tc, my understanding is that we (that is, you) will put a thread in the main forum announcing the new RLG and directing the interested parties to the location. Hope that's clear, bit it probably isn't!

Jumbx
    by Jumbo at 22:54 on 12 March 2004
    Following Colin's suggestion I've edited the proposed introductory paragraph.

One of the WriteWords community's popular writing exercises is the RLG: Random Line Generator. This is where someone volunteers to come up with a sentence which other members then use as the opening line of a piece of original work - either poetry or prose.
    It's intended to be a fun way of firing the individual imagination.
    The intention is to post a new RLG in the WriteWords Exercise section of the forum on the 1st of each month.
    If you'd like to demonstrate some freedom of thought, imagination or personality - that's the place to go!

Any comments?
    by word`s worth at 23:46 on 12 March 2004
    Guys,

You add anymore to the introduction and it'll end up being an RLG all by itself

One of the WriteWords community's popular writing exercises is the RLG: Random Line Generator. This is where someone volunteers to come up with a sentence which other members then use as the opening line of a piece of original work - either poetry or prose.
    It's intended to be a fun way of firing the individual imagination. RLGs appear regularly in the WriteWords Exercise section of the forum so if you'd like to take up the challenge yourself, that's the place to go.

My vote is for that one.

N x
    by Sue H at 00:02 on 13 March 2004
    Me too.
    Sue
    by Colin-M at 09:36 on 13 March 2004
    er, Jumbo,

my piece was done with tongue placed firmly in cheek. Wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Colin M
    by tinyclanger at 09:41 on 13 March 2004
    Oops, apology necessary. I meant Richard, NOT David. Sorry, David..never, ever thought you had written it, (would have been more laughs for a start )....

And wasn't Colin's supposed to be a joke?...that's how I was reacting to it...
    Crumbs, think I've got all my wires crossed here. Off to lie down, even though I just got up.
    To be honest I don't mind what the para says, as long as it mentions that RLG is multi-genred.
    But weren't the Writing Exercises and Lounge forum going to be arranged differently at some point? Or has that slipped off the agenda now we're nicely out of the way..?

Just realised how bitchy that sounds. Definately need a lie down.
    Start the day over again, tc..
    mumble
    mumble

<Added>

Oh, thank goodness..Colin's WAS a joke.
    by Dee at 09:50 on 13 March 2004
    Somebody get that woman a coffee

This one looks fine to me - it tells people what RLG is about and points them in the right direction.

tc, the difference with the forums is that nothing in the Excercise forum appears on the general one any more - not just RLG.

Dee.
    by Jumbo at 10:00 on 13 March 2004
    Sorry, Colin. My joke-detection radar musty have been switched off at that point! I didn't pick up on the 'tongu-in-cheekedness' of your suggestion.

Ooops!

John

<Added>

... that's 'tongu' with an 'e', of course!
    by tinyclanger at 10:15 on 13 March 2004
    Yeah, Dee,
    I understand that but I have a recollection of some point in the 'debate' where it was mooted by WW that the Lounge and Exercises Forums would be highlighted differently because they were no longer behaving like others and appearing on the main Board. Sort of as compensation, if you like....

I interpreted it as meaning that on the main Forum page with all the Forum links down the right hand side, the layout would be changed to put Ex and Lounge together in their own section & maybe a word or two to get people to visit them, purely because the live Threads in each didn't show up on the main bit....haven't explained that well, have I?!
    I'll have a peruse of the argument, sorry debate, and see if I can find it.
    Be back somethime next week

x
    tc
  • This 73 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5  > >