Login   Sign Up 

This 73 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5  > >  
  • Re: RLG 2004
    by Dee at 20:18 on 13 March 2004
    Oo-er! Pencil me in! Is he bringing Demi Moore with him?

ee
    by tinyclanger at 22:15 on 13 March 2004
    Buxton? They make water, right? Hmm, might have to investigate that. I'm darn sarf too, but I'd walk there to see Patrick. What's he doing, (as if that matters).
    I've also been considering doing an MA at Huddersfield Uni - he's the Chancellor there now. Dunno what course, (as if that matters).
    Why would Demi be with him, Dee? They're not, are they? If she touches him, I'll scratch her eyes out..and biff her with my spade. Bury her alive too, and shout "Pish, Posh" very loudly several times...

by Dee at 22:23 on 13 March 2004
    They did 'Ghost' together, didn't they??? You know... the potters wheel scene...

by tinyclanger at 22:33 on 13 March 2004
    Heretic!

<Added>

Ooh! But now I'm imagining the texture of the clay, and the water, and the rhythm of the pedal and the wheel, and Patrick's shiny head..I'd like to slop some clay on that and mould it, knead it with my fingers..mmm
    Scuse me, girls, think it's time for a lie down ;)

Night night
    x
    tc
    by Sue H at 07:47 on 14 March 2004
    Patrick - OUR Patrick, not that pottery one, is talking about his life in Hollywood.

http://www.buxtonfestival.co.uk

Yorkshire born superstar, Patrick Stewart, is an internationally respected actor. He has successfully bridged the gap between the theatrical world of the Shakespearean stage and contemporary film and television.

Famous as Captain Jean-Luc Picard from the Star Trek series, Stewart is also an Honorary Associate Artist of the Royal Shakespeare Company, where his roles include King John, Shylock and Henry IV. He has also starred in many contemporary works with the RSC, including premiŠre productions by Tom Stoppard, Edward Bond, Howard Barker and David Rudkin.

Tickets £8
    Duration approximately 60-70 minutes

by tinyclanger at 10:51 on 14 March 2004
    Mornin' - Sue, you're up fiendishly early for a Sunday! Kids? Dog? Flash of inspiration?

Gosh, I quite fancy the Patrick thing...might try and organise it..shame there's not much else that grabs me on the Festival programme, I'm not a classical/opera fan I'm afraid..but I'm sure it's lovely round there and I could fill in a weekend.
    Hm. Nothing definate yet - haven't a clue if it will be poss, but if anyone else thinks it may be something they will attend, pr'aps we could meet up and lust in unison?

x
    tc
    by Sue H at 11:13 on 14 March 2004
    Hi tc,

I'm always up early - daughter (8) and cat (17) but I get up before them so that I have a small smidgen of time on my own!

It's a long way to go for a taste (if only) of Patrick, isn't it? I'm not sure. I want to go to the Winchester Festival which is also July I think so may not be able to do both. Going to the London Book Fair tomorrow. I bought a ticket a while back and now I'm not sure why I did. I'll go along and just see what happens and pick up a few catalogues I think.

Anyway, I'm supposed to writing a children's short story which really isn't coming along well, and another story for a competition, and do a big big big edit on my book (i.e. halve it!)... Better get on with it all!

Sue
    by Dee at 11:16 on 14 March 2004
    I could be tempted - although I'd much prefer Melvin Bragg on the Friday of that weekend. I'm only about an hour and a half away from Buxton so if anyone's going it would be great to meet up any day - but preferably not on the Sunday... sorry tc.

Dee.

<Added>

Sue - I can highly reccommend the Winchester Festival. I went last summer and - although I didn't come away with an agent, as I'd hoped, and it cost an illegal amount of money (train fares and accommodation mainly) I had a fabulous time. The experience of spending a weekend with about 400 other writers - 99% unpublished but all as determined as myself - was worth evey penny.

x
    by tinyclanger at 11:28 on 14 March 2004
    Ah, I understand, can't face the competition,eh? Just me and Patrick, then. What will we find to talk about?

Did anyone watch that prog last night about them excavating the place where Wilfred Owen was in The Somme?..gosh, some of the images we're EXACTLY what I had in mind when I wrote Harvest for the RLG, the fields and a few little copses here and there, and birds circling in a bleak evening sky. It was a bit spooky. When they found the bones I was in floods. What a sheer bloody disaster it was, astonishing and heartrending.

x
    tc
    by word`s worth at 16:19 on 14 March 2004
    What's this Winchester Festival about? When is it? Since I'm going to be moving down towards that area some time this year...maybe I'll be able to go there (although I don't know what it is yet...)

by Sue H at 16:20 on 14 March 2004
    July I think. http://www.winchesterfestival.co.uk but you only get the details from 2003.
    Sue
    by word`s worth at 16:34 on 14 March 2004
    Thanks Sue, I'll check it out
    by Dee at 18:05 on 14 March 2004
    Sue, your link is to a music festival. Did you mean the Winchester writers conference?

That’s http://www.gmp.co.uk/writers/conference

the link is for last year but there’s an email address. The organisers are extremely friendly and helpful. I wish I was going again now…

Have a great time at the LBF and let us know all about it...

Dee.

<Added>

tc - wish I'd seen that programme.

:(
    by Sue H at 18:21 on 14 March 2004
    Dee - you are an absolute marvel! That's the very one I wanted but could only find the other one while searching. Thank you!!
    Sue
    by tinyclanger at 18:22 on 14 March 2004
    Dee, it was really interesting and moving.
    His troop ended up having to hold an abandoned German dugout, which after an advance was in No Man's Land. They were stuck there for 50 hours with bombs from BOTH sides crashing overhead and the place was flooded up to their knees, water rising all the time.

He wrote of it so evocatively, how at one point he almost gave up and let himself sink under the water and drown - and he made the immortal comment, "I haven't been at the Front, I've been in front of the Front."
    He came through it, but only went a few more months before breaking down. I think then was when he was sent to Craiglockheart and met Sassoon.

I suppose it ties in with the thread today about depression and writing...look what amazing stuff was produced there.
    Lor, I want to weep every time I think about it..I bought a biog of Owen at Christms but have had so much to read for work. Think now I'll bump it to the top of the pile and find out more.

And to think lads like my Grandad LIED about their age so they could go..

tc
  • This 73 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5  > >