Login   Sign Up 

• Penny for your thoughts?
    by Account Closed at 10:59 on 02 July 2004
    ...or indeed, three months of your time! And that's exactly what this guy has done.

I imagine this manner of exercise can be extremely therapeutic, and possibly inspiring, although does require a large amount of spare time.

Any thoughts on this sort of 'behaviour'?
  • Re: Penny for your thoughts?
    by bjlangley at 12:04 on 02 July 2004
    I really think... that there are better ways to spend our time.

I suppose there could be some benefit of exploring our thoughts more thoroughly, but I think that three months may be a little excessive.

Though I disagree with this part of the news story:

When was the last time you thought hard about something? When you actually set aside some time in the day to just sit and think, and note down what was on your mind?

No-one does that, do they? Time's too precious, life is too short.

I often spend time thinking things through before choosing which action to take. Isn't this the way we all think?

Surely we've not become a species that works on instinct, performing the first action that comes into our heads?

by Al T at 13:20 on 02 July 2004
    Interesting article, IB! First thought: this guy has an extraordinary name! Second thought: this is more than a tad impractical.

I am though very interested in ways to control one's mind and to harness mental energy. Last year in India, I learnt how to meditate, and found that it is fantastic for getting rid of the 'noise' that seems so often to overrun my mind. Admittedly, a couple of glasses of wine will get rid of the noise just as well, but then I just want to sleep, which is not a big help to my writing.

Adele.
    by SamMorris at 14:36 on 02 July 2004
    Sounds interesting, but three months. Wouldn't you get bored?

Day 1:
    Sat quietly in room thinking how much nicer this is than work. Broke wind and nobody complained. Nobody was there. Resisted temptation to watch TV and play computer games. Tried to think about things instead. You know, deep stuff, about life and all that.

Day 3:
    I started the day relentlessly pacing the house. I had to throw the Playstation out of the window in an attempt to stop myself switching it on. This afternoon however I felt a lot calmer. I started to notice things, like how quickly my breathing changes when sit down. And how ants walk ever increasing circles on the kitchen floor, when they get lost.

Day 2:
    Looked at walls and considered their immaculate whiteness. Wondered about inner beauty hidden under the mask of the everyday and mundane. Lit some candles and joss sticks, and started to hum a bit. Not washed for two days you see.

Day 3:
    Felt a deep sense of transcendent peace, as I could feel the world around me. The wind in the trees, all the insects busy in the garden beneath me. The rest of the world beyond these boundaries is a blur. As if it is meaningless.

Day 4:
    Walls still white. Keep forgetting what I’m thinking about.

Day 5:
    I've decided I don’t like the colour yellow. Unless, of course, it indicates the proximity of custard.

Day 6:
    Run out of doughnuts!

Day 7:
    Fixed playstation. Am now on level three of new game, ‘Steal Cars and Shoot people.’ Nice. Wonder what's going on in the big brother house.

(etc)
    by bjlangley at 14:41 on 02 July 2004
    Very good Sam, most entertaining, and quite believeable.
    by Nell at 16:03 on 02 July 2004
    I did believe it! Thought you'd copied and pasted it from that website (which I haven't been to yet).

<Added>

I've read the article now. Why didn't he just use a dictaphone - it would have been a lot easier.