Login   Sign Up 

This 33 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • RLG8 - Open writing challenge
    by SamMorris at 23:36 on 31 July 2004
    Cue drum roll:

Yes, it's that time of the month again. To those that are new to this, a brief intro follows (apologies to Sue if this looks a touch familiar):

Random Line Generator is a monthly exercise we started in January. On the first of each month someone comes up with an opening line and we use it as a starter.

Anyone can join in. It can be a short story, a poem, a play or non-fiction. There is no word limit and the only rule is that it has to start with the opening line. Just precede your title with RLG8 (for this one) or 1 – 7 (if you fancy trying any of the others) and then upload it in the archive.

Here’s the line for August:

"When I read back through my journals from that time, although I can see traces of myself in some of the entries, most of it sounds like the thoughts of an entirely different person."

If you do have a go, you can post a line or three in this thread. All participants will then know to look out for your work

Hope the line manages to spark off some ideas!

All the best,

Sam
  • Re: RLG8 - Open writing challenge
    by Dee at 07:35 on 01 August 2004
    Hey! Nice one Sam... Were the speech marks deliberate?

Dee
    x
    by bjlangley at 08:40 on 01 August 2004
    Good line Sam, it could lead almost anywhere.
    by SamMorris at 09:07 on 01 August 2004
    Morning Ben & Dee, glad you like the line. As for the quotation marks, I used these to mark the beginning and end of the sentence. I wouldn't worry about them, unless you want to of course.
    by Jumbo at 09:29 on 01 August 2004
    Hi, Sam!

Thanks for the line! I think it should throw up some interesting entries!

Speak to you soon

jumbo
    by olebut at 09:50 on 01 August 2004
    thnaks Sam,

well mine is up hope you like it

take care

david

<Added>

http://www.writewords.org.uk/archive/5875.asp

<Added>

I think with the volume of new work generaly that at the very least anybody producing a piece under this excercise should post the link on here, and at the risk of opening an old wound I wonder if that nice Mr. Bruce could be persuaded to open up a new group for the RLG's so they would all be together and make it easier for us to find them.

good luck folks can't wait for Septembers nor indeed comments on my scant offering.

david

by joanie at 06:52 on 02 August 2004
    Well, I usually write poetry, and I don't think I'll manage it with this one! I'll keep having a look and trying - perhaps I'll try a story, but I don't think I have ever written one; maybe now is the time to start.

Thanks Sam
    by Jumbo at 08:53 on 02 August 2004
    Yes, joanie, 'now' is a very good time to start. Go on have a go.

David, haven't read yours yet - got to get mine finished first! I'll be with you soon (I hope).

jumbo

by SamMorris at 12:03 on 02 August 2004
    Go on Joanie, give it a go!

by Jumbo at 14:31 on 02 August 2004
    Where is everyone, Sam?

It's strangely quiet around here!
    by SamMorris at 15:03 on 02 August 2004
    I can only imagine that everyone must have drawn the blinds, disconnected the phone, opened a bottle of brain-tonic (a.k.a. red wine), and are busy beating out their answer to the RLG challenge.

OR, they could all be out enjoying the sunshine!

I'll try to get my story up this evening, no excuses for me, it's my line.

Sam
    by tinyclanger at 15:17 on 02 August 2004
    Phew! This is a bugger for us poets, Sam! An opening line? I reckon we've got at least a couple of verses there!
    Hmmm. Sorry, don't really mean to complain, it's a great prose line and gives people loads of interesting options...just not sure a poem is one of them!
    Looks like Joanie's right...but then again...

x
    tc
    by Jumbo at 16:00 on 02 August 2004
    Come on, tc! Where are all those artistic flares you keep talking about.

Dunno if it helps, but 'worsen' rhymes with 'person'. Perhaps that'll give you something to work on.

How are you?

All the best

jumbux xx
    by SamMorris at 16:10 on 02 August 2004
    hey tc, what's with the defeatist attitude (only kidding!)

Looking for the silver poet's lining, as you've said, the first three verses are there already. Come on, jump in and give it a go, story or poem, you know you want to (please). It will be good practice for the December challenge!
    by tinyclanger at 16:29 on 02 August 2004
    Oh, it's easy to be enthusiastic on someone else's behalf!!
    Given there's sooo much poetic potential here, I assume your offerings will be in verse, also?
    Jumbs? Sam?.....thought so. Scarpered......
    Like the idea of 'artistic flares' tho, I could wear 'em with my afghan coat and tank top.

Never fear, I'll produce a poem from this even if it's the last thing I d..................
  • This 33 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >