Login   Sign Up 

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Doing a step outline
    by Skippoo at 13:49 on 04 September 2005
    Sounds useful the way you do it, Emma. I write an over all plan/synopsis before I've written the whole novel, but then as I write each chapter, I change that part of the synopsis to what actually was written in the chapter (as things often come out a bit different from the plan). The planned stuff I haven't written yet stays in in italics, so I can tell the difference. Like you, I also write how many words each chapter is after I've completed it in my synopsis. As well as the plan/synopsis I also keep a list of characters with key points about them. I could do with some kind of revision to this approach, though, that gives me a clearer idea of plot development.

Yeah, that title would normally put me off, but a writer recommended it to me. Stebel also does workshops all over the States. There were some useful bits in the book, although some of it might be better for beginners. I found Stebel's style a little too opinionated, though - his way is the right way to write and that's it! I do't think that's the best approach for a writing teacher as there are so many examples of 'rules' being successfully broken!

Cath
    by Colin-M at 08:54 on 05 September 2005
    The best technique I've found is to leave the script for a while and work on something else. You come back with a fresh perspective and can spot repitition and waffle so much easier.

I think everyone has to have some form of method. If the deconstruction technique works for you, that's great. A little too much work for me. I try to read through and question every scene and ask if it's repeating things the reader already knows (my main demon) or if it is essential to the plot/development of a character. I used to hate losing pages of text before. I get a kick out of it now.

Colin
    by EmmaD at 08:43 on 08 September 2005
    Yes, I think taking a break from it is essential, and writing something else is often the quickest way of clearing it out of your head and eyes. When you come back to it, you're that most closer to reading it as a new reader would, for a while at least. And the longer the break, the longer you get of that freshness.

Emma
    by el gringo at 17:49 on 25 September 2005
    While some people seem to have incredible discipline and make use of a variety of techniques, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that writing works best for me as an organic process where the skeleton of plot and characters are committed to something akin to a mind map, but the process of recording the plot works best by writing and rewriting, a lot like theatrical improvisation. I much prefer the freshness and immediacy of writing first, particularly since you can cover holes and build in subtleties later in the day - by which time you've got stuff on paper and minimised the risk of writer's block.

The technique suggested might work as a decent prompt to order the mind without going into detail, but I'd want to use it without being prescriptive - there must be room for unpredictability in developing the plot.
    by EmmaD at 17:53 on 25 September 2005
    I'm sure you're right - nothing you plan before you write should be regarded as more than a prompt. You have to be willing to follow something as it grows, even if that's in a different direction, or the flowers are a different colour. My chapter plan might be ten or twenty words at the most, but the chapters might be 10,000, and may or may not end up where I thought they would. And the plan's in pencil, so I can rub out and keep things clear.

Emma
  • This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2