Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 56 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4  > >  
  • Re: New Year Scribblers Club
    by Issy at 09:11 on 20 December 2005
    Unstructured is Ok - just an ultimate target?

This is already concentrating the mind wonderfully. In fact slight panic, which is good as I'm getting on with it. I will be very excited if I can get a substantial piece of writing done.

<Added>

Yes, Apsara, I'm going to be about the following week too, so maybe we could continue together into a second phase after the main group has ended on 2nd Jan.
    by Skippoo at 13:27 on 20 December 2005
    I'm in! I was planning to write something over the fat and lazy period too as I haven't done much since finishing T&K.

I have 2 targets:

1. To write an opening chapter of my next novel - but it's going to be experimental and (hopefully) funny. I'm not going to have any aims of publication with this one, just pure fun.

2. To finish off at least 2 half-written songs (definitely want to get on to the music thing in a big way in '06).

Cath
    by Myrtle at 17:23 on 20 December 2005
    I'd love to be in if I can get some paid work out of the way first (damn those bills!). If I can make it, my goal will be the first three chapters of my next children's novel...I've suffered from complete novel-paralysis since November and need a massive kick up the arse.

So call me a maybe for now. Ta.

Myrtle
    by Issy at 19:39 on 20 December 2005
    Oooh yes, please join in, Cath and Myrtle (if you can - even bills have to be paid at this season)

This is really working for me, as I would be so embarrassed at not meeting the target, and have narrowed the words to do by 2,500 today. I would have stopped at 1000 without this public declaration. Quality not brilliant, but that's for the rewrite.
    by apsara at 23:24 on 20 December 2005
    Issy, you're on. shall use the island break for thinking & planning & then get down to writing 1st to 7th. Output: a whole draft of the novel - at the moment I have substantial bits that need a revise & then some gaps that need filling in. I.e. something I can give someone to read & comment on. Have already had great help with a few chapters from uploading on Novel 2.
    I'm off tomorrow so good luck everyone!
    by Issy at 00:42 on 21 December 2005
    Wonderful Apsara - "see" you on your return - a lot of work from the sound of it but be fabulous to get it done.
    by Silverelli at 23:44 on 21 December 2005
    I am so game for this. Count another WriteWorder in. I'll be writing on GMT-5(USA East Coast time), but I will definitely check in with fortunate progress. I have not been creative on the page in quite a while, but I have plotlines and information and words and ideals and passionate viewpoints just screaming to be burst out. No more bottling for me.

Here are my goals(December 25-January 1):

1. Complete 2-3 quality chapters on Memoir/Biography.
    2. Research and fact check all information on biographical figure, as much as possible in that time frame.
    3. Plan a detailed outline of what the first 3 chapters should include.
    4. Plan/write rough draft of interview/query with biog figure.
    5. Aim for 2500 words a day. Focus largely on alotting editing time on December 29, 31 and January 1st(Days off for me).

Good luck to us all and Happy holidays, y'all.

<Added>

I love doing things(especially writing) in binges, so this should be productive for me. Just remind me to keep at it.
    by Issy at 00:40 on 22 December 2005
    Will do Silverelli, glad to have you in the Scribblers. Good long list, so here's to a productive week.

I see you'll be hitting the champagne breakfast well ahead of us one the other side of the pond.
    by Silverelli at 02:29 on 22 December 2005
    Thanks, Issy. No longer I drinker, but I promise you I'll be on my eighth cup of coffee before you guys pop the cork in Sunny UK.
    by Skippoo at 11:05 on 22 December 2005
    Welcome aboard, Silv. How long's the abstinence been now? A long time, I think. Respect is due!

Cath
    by Account Closed at 16:01 on 22 December 2005
    I can't really decide what my target should be. I've been terribly busy and slightly depressed lately, a combination that doesn't do much good to one's writing -- in fact, for a week or so I have done no writing at all (apart from re-wording some sentences and adding a few perfunctory commas here and there, and then changing it all back). So I'm not sure whether I should take it easy and start writing again little by little, or whether I should dive straight in the deep end!

A part of me wants to set the target at 10,000 words minimum, but how can I be sure that part of me is to be trusted?
    by Dee at 17:37 on 22 December 2005
    Fredegonde, why don’t you do what I've done, and set your target for 5,000-10,000 words. Or perhaps 500-1000 words a day? Promise yourself a treat for reaching the minimum target, another one for the midway point, and a big one if you hit the final target.

Alternatively, take a complete break and do a jigsaw puzzle. I think they’re great for decluttering the brain.

Dee
    by EmmaD at 17:54 on 22 December 2005
    I often set myself time-targets rather than numbers of words, because that's in your control. The right words - or any words - may not happen, but you can make yourself sit there for a given length of time. I usually find then the words do happen in the end.

Emma
    by Dee at 18:06 on 22 December 2005

Good idea. Allowing ourselves the time to write may be more productive for some of us than setting a target.

Dee
    by Silverelli at 01:50 on 23 December 2005
    I totally agree with you guys. 2-3 chapter(25 hundy words-a-day) is way too much pressure to put on myself. I'm going to shoot for 3 hours a day of quality writing time and 1.5 chapter completion. Sound do-able? I'm excited about this. Can I start sooner...oh no that would be cheating...Dee, I see you...put down your pen, it's not time yet.
  • This 56 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4  > >