Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• If you were a ghost what kind of ghost would you be?
    by di2 at 21:57 on 05 February 2006
    I've just stumbled accross a very interesting writing exercise in an article at the Guardian http://books.guardian.co.uk/poetryworkshop/story/0,,1699611,00.html?gusrc=rss It's an exercise set by Esther Morgan the author of "The Silence Living in Houses" and a creative writing teacher.

I read through the article and I though immediately that someone at WriteWords may find this workshop interesting.

The sentence that hooked me was "If you were a ghost what kind of ghost would you be?"

Di2

• Re: If you were a ghost what kind of ghost would you be?
    by Jekyll&Hyde at 21:29 on 28 February 2006
    Wicked, Di2!

I'd be a vengeful ghost. Or is that poltergeist? I wonder if we get a choice once we're dead.

Made for interesting reading.

S.M.
    by EmmaD at 21:39 on 28 February 2006
    Di2, thanks so much for this. I'm very intrigued by ghosts too, even though I don't believe in them, and she's set off all sorts of ideas in my mind...

Emma
    by Katerina at 08:06 on 01 March 2006
    My sister in law sent me this link a while ago, I meant to mention it and forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

I'd be one of those waif like souls wandering the earth - nah that's boring! I'd be a mischeivous ghost who made things float around and turned peoples lights on and off. I'd get a real kick out of making people scream haha.

Kat
    by DJC at 20:23 on 01 March 2006
    I like this idea - have posted a link in the poetry seminar, as we're always looking for new ideas.

D.
    by JoPo at 19:47 on 02 March 2006
    For the differences between poltergeists and ghosts, you could do worse than consult "Poltergeists" by Alan Gauld (with the assistance of John Shotter). Published quite a while ago, and it may be hard to find. John S was my tutor at Nottingham U many years ago when I was a Psychology student. Alan Gauld ran a course on parapsychology (pioneering stuff at the time). Interesting man.

The spooky thing about poltergeist phenomena (to me) is the way so many manifestations of poltergeist infestation are the same, across the world and over the centuries. Whereas I don't think 'ghosts' necessarily exhibit the same cultural and historic consistency.

Jim
    by Darren1968 at 18:01 on 13 March 2006
    Well it is said that ghosts only appear if there is some reason that they can't rest in peace, like something is unresolved or they come back to warn someone. If I were a ghost I would like to be a friendly one, one who helps someone and not like a poltergeist (although it would probably be more fun)
    by kat at 09:57 on 22 March 2006
    Anyone read Maggie the Book, her Regency hero and his sidekick manifest in her living room and enter real life. Very original and good fun.
    Kat