Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• CRIME/THRILLER WRITERS WANTED
    by Colin-M at 08:49 on 27 February 2004
    A small group of us are trying to get the ball rolling with regular exercises in the Crime Writer's Group.

What we plan to do is post a fortnightly topic (or title), posted on a Friday (today!) which is then left open to interpretation. The idea is to use the posted topic as a starting point, just to grease the wheels and keep those words flowing and see where everyone ends up.

But we only have a few members. Anyone care to hop aboard?

Colin M
    (I originally posted this to the WriteWords Lounge, but for some reason it didn't appear in the Forum's most recent posts - so apologies if it appears twice)
  • Re: CRIME/THRILLER WRITERS WANTED
    by bjlangley at 10:00 on 27 February 2004
    I may be interested in this - if you don't mind me taking it to strange and unusual places...

I've had this idea for a TV show, a comedy about a detective, a good detective in a small town where very little ever happens, and what does happen is incredibly stupid.

I was going to call in "Ian Cruddle's Incredible Crimes" and I had one really strange crime in mind as a pilot, which involves a robbery, a dead cat and a midget contortionist.

This exercise would be great for me to try to turn those wheels in a suitably warped way.
    by Dee at 10:28 on 27 February 2004
    Ben, I love your mind! Just seen your post on the BBC Story thread in the Lounge forum... go for it... or should we start compiling your shopping list for you? Here's a starter...

Hot Salsa Dip

ee.
    by Colin-M at 15:45 on 27 February 2004
    Yeah Ben, take the ball and run. Crime/Thrillers can be a bit stifling/samey at times. It would be great to see a fresh perspective.

I've got a Christopher Brookmyre novel around here someplace, I still haven't read it yet, well I think I did the first couple of chapters and got side-tracked. Anyone read any of his stuff? The one I have is his debut, "Quite Ugly One Morning" - I'll get round to it some day, but I've just picked up "Gould's Book of Fish" not sure why, possibly because of the sea horse on the cover.

Colin M
    by James Anthony at 15:52 on 27 February 2004
    colin m

Started to read Quite Ungly one Morning and it was dull and unimaginative (only my thoughts) so I wouldn't recommend it. I am sure he is a lovely person though, just in case he ever pays us a visit!
    by Phelim at 15:25 on 19 March 2004
    Colin, as much as I can count me in (only just found your post) and if anyone actually knows of a non-virtual crime writing circle please let me know.