Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• RLG - but a little different...
    by Colin-M at 08:52 on 14 November 2006
    Hi all,

due to a post in another thread, I thought it might be fun to revive the RLG, but to do it differently so we can get more out of it.

For new(ish) members, the RLG stood for Random Line Generator, and was a monthly game/exercise we used to play. It resulted in some fine writing and is superb for encouraging comments and helping your own writing improve.

The idea was that every month someone (we had a rota) would come up with a first line - the more obscure the better - for a short story, flash fiction, poem etc and we'd all have to come up with something.

In the Dan Brown thread I thought it might give us a better appreciation of writing styles/techniques if, in each RLG, we set a style to parody/imitate.

For the first RLG, to be completed by the end of November, I've thrown down the gauntlette for this:

Style: "Bloke" , ie Dan Brown. Key features, technical info, Tell Don't Show, short, punchy scenes. No soft girly stuff.

RLG: "A smell of rotten meat made me gag"

Colin M
  • Re: RLG - but a little different...
    by Colin-M at 10:37 on 14 November 2006
    Er... just realised that this idea will probably fall flat on its arse, as you can only really do the genres you known and understand.

(Colin quietly walks back behind the curtain)