Login   Sign Up 

This 189 message thread spans 13 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12   13  > >  
  • Re: RLG3 Yes, It`s that time again!
    by Dee at 20:17 on 04 March 2004
    Nahed, I may be wrong but I think David meant that he would make it more clear that the Lounge Forum and the Writing Exercise Forum will not appear in General Forum.

I know a few people (myself included) who have taken a while to cotton on to the fact that the Lounge isn't replicated in General.

This idea of David's - if I'm right - will make both of them more clear.

Dee
    x

Hope you didn't get into trouble for screaming at work

<Added>

Before people start jumping to the wrong conclusions here I'd like to clarify... Wordy was screaming at something wot I wrote... nothing to do with RLG or David's suggestion... OK...

;)
    by david bruce at 20:18 on 04 March 2004
    Hi
    The two forums I was refering to are the exercises forum and the lounge forum - these are the two that now do not have threads appearing on the forum home page, so I will try to find a way to highlight them more on the main forum home page.
    Thanks
    David

<Added>

Dee - posted at the same time as you!
    by word`s worth at 20:37 on 04 March 2004
    Oh right. Okay. But can anyone think of or suggest a way of highlighting what the RLG is without having to explain it every month when David posts it on the Main forum? I'm thinking of new comers here - who will only see a thread with a line in it which will sound like gobbledegook.

Dee...no I didn't get into trouble, my boss is a gem and takes a keen interest in my writing and everything to do with it. I'm very lucky!
    by Jumbo at 23:18 on 04 March 2004
    Wordy : One way round this would be to write an introductory blurb which explains what the RLG thing is all about. Dee and her press gang beat me with rubber hoses and old copies of the Sporting Life (quite nice really) until I agreed to write something along those lines.

When tc posts the new line on April Fools Day (was she specially selected for the job? Sorry, tc.) she can include the blurb in the posting which gives the line.

Hope that makes sense.

In May when the next person (and I believe there has been a queue of volunteers) posts their line they can 'cut and paste' the introductory blurb and use it as part of their thread.

Blimey!!

David, thanks for getting back to us with your suggestions Much obliged!

Jumbo
    by tinyclanger at 09:12 on 05 March 2004
    Actually, Jumb, I VOLUNTEERED!! er...should I be proud of that or not?....

Well, we seem to have hit solution-ville. Not sure I'm as happy with it as everyone else.
    Seems to me the RLG has still been shovelled out of the way, but to make that palatable and make it look as though we haven't been singled out, all the other Exercises are now coming with us. That doesn't really tie in with the original stated reasoning behind this - that the RLG dominated the Forum. None of the other Exercise threads were deemed to do this, just the RLG. For instance, Elspeth's lyric challenge wasn't moved at first..
    I think this is a bit of a whitewash. Theaim was to get the RLG in a qiuet corner, and this accomplishes that.

But, far be it from me to go against the pulse of opinion, if most people are happy, then I will say no more.
    Sorry if you feel I am being ungracious, David, but that's what I think, and I can't in all conscience pretend otherwise.
    But no hard feelings? It's over as far as I'm concerned. I want to get back to my writing..

x
    tc

by word`s worth at 09:50 on 05 March 2004
    tc,

I applaud you for your honesty. I'm not 'happy' with this 'conclusion' either, and I agree with all your points because they are my exact thoughts. I had misunderstood David's post and thought that RLG would be a separate forum if not a group - but that has been clarified and I feel that nothing here has been achieved and no reasonable compromise made by the Admin team. My good feelings towards WriteWords site have been damaged and I'm not sure if they can be repaired so easily. It is clear to me that there will be no concessions made and so I raise my hands up and surrender because I do have better things to do than bash my head against a brick wall.

You're not alone in your unease about this 'compromise'.

N
    by tinyclanger at 11:28 on 05 March 2004
    Well, much thanks for that Wordy, we obviously feel the same. I thought I was going to be a lone party-pooper!

But, as you say, we're not going to change things, and I guess just have to put it to one side and get on, or leave. I don't want to leave, but I have a bad taste in my mouth which possibly only a visit to the Britannia can overcome. My shout, and let's make 'em large ones...
    x
    tc
    by Dee at 11:50 on 05 March 2004
    I’m not ecstatic about it either but I’d rather accept the compromise and move on. I want to write, not argue.

I’m still in bits after reading Om’mee. You should read it, tc, if you haven’t already… I’m in total awe of Nahed now… to think how close we came to losing a talent like hers from the site. And if that has you squirming with embarrassment, Nahed – don’t. This is not flattery – you deserve a much wider audience.

Phew! Nuff of that… where are the fellas this morning? Must be their round… see you in the Brit…

Dee.

by Dee at 13:58 on 05 March 2004
    Me again,

Sorry if this is stirring things up just as they've started to settle… it’s probably nothing…

I’ve just noticed, in Writing Exercises forum, a banner under the name which says:

Forum for full members to use for writing exercises

Is this new or have I just not noticed it before? It’s that little word ‘full’ which worries me. Does that mean new part-members will not be able to access it or participate?

Dee.
    by word`s worth at 14:21 on 05 March 2004
    Hi Dee,

I did start squirming with embarrassment and then I read that I shouldn't and promptly stopped! Seriously, I'm not great at receiving praise but thank you thank you thank you and I hope that I will always be worthy of your high opinion of my writing abilities.

Regarding RLG...yes when I was on a trial memberships I couldn't participate in the Writing Exercises...not sure if the same applies for Part Members who have only paid for the forum and not the whole enchilada though (mmmm...enchiladas).

N x
    by Dee at 14:31 on 05 March 2004
    Oh yes... I forgot there were different levels of membership now... was thinking it was a free-month job or the full works.

So would the new system prevent part-members from doing an RLG or would the RLG carrot persuade them to convert to full membership? Dunno.

Dee.
    x
    by word`s worth at 14:41 on 05 March 2004
    If I remember correctly (can't seem to find the link that actually had the explanation of what each level of membership allowed) if you pay only for community membership then you are able to participate in the writing exercises. It could very well encourage people to become full members or at least community members - I think there was one trial member who uploaded a writing exercise piece in his/her own profile (you're allowed one piece to upload when a trial member (but can't edit - so make sure you're happy with it before posting )) - so who knows!

N x
    by word`s worth at 14:46 on 05 March 2004
    Just thinking, I'm glad tc is doing next month because being a full-time brilliant poet she may entice and encourage all the other great poets out there on WriteWords to attempt the RLG in April. Alice, Iggy, Fearless, Miffle, Olebut (I know you did a parrot one! ), Chem - and many more - it would be great if you could join us!

N x
    by Dee at 14:55 on 05 March 2004
    That would be excellent. Then maybe they would do one every month... bear that in mind, tc - don't scare them off!

Dee
    by tinyclanger at 15:03 on 05 March 2004
    Gosh, am I being intimidating, again? Don't even know I'm doing it now.
    Yeah, it would be great if some more poets joined in.
    I'll attempt to make my line suitably inspiring and poetic-y. And I'll post a message on each of the Poetry groups at the start of the month, so they might be intrigued and have a go.

x
    tc
  • This 189 message thread spans 13 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12   13  > >