Login   Sign Up 

This 189 message thread spans 13 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  > >  
  • Re: RLG3 Yes, It`s that time again!
    by word`s worth at 11:26 on 02 March 2004
    This post will probably be deleted - and it if it is then this will only prove my point!

I have deleted all of my uploads including that of RLG in protest to WriteWords Administrators deciding to keep RLG *limited* to the Writing Excercise Forum where it is more "suitable" (this does not make sense to me as everything else posted in the Writing Exercise Forum is automatically posted to the General Forum so why not RLG?). I find this insulting and wholly undemocratic where something like this is done/changed without the consultation of the participators.

<Added>

Participators should of course be participants...tsk
    by Dee at 11:27 on 02 March 2004
    We sometimes hive off busy threads from the home page if they are on-going discussions between members. They can still of course be found in the appropriate forum.

copied from Daisy’s ‘Am I going mad’ thread. I assume David is expecting a lot of traffic on this thread… Rowdy? Wot? Us? Is he saying we talk too much?

Dee

by word`s worth at 11:36 on 02 March 2004
    RLG3 does not contain any discussions - we've only commented on the line that was selected and then announced our uploads. This is clearly discrimination against RLG. I don't want to be a shit stirrer - I'm usually the one that will calm things down - but this has clearly got my back up and with good cause I think. It's not just one thing but a sequence of many that points to a certain people disapproving of other members of the site. I do not appreciate my posts being deleted when I have said nothing wrong but merely questioning the Administrators decision to do things. Reminds me of the dictatorship that my family escaped from so many years ago - I don't intend to allow it into my life once more! And certainly not if I'm paying for it!

<Added>

If anything - by limiting this thread to this forum it only encourages for discussion to take place. Very clever!

by tinyclanger at 11:39 on 02 March 2004
    I think we have to face it folks:
    it's a resounding "yes" to rowdy - at least in WW terms..."yes" to we make too much noise...and we probably make the place look untidy, too. And leave empty gin bottles about the place.
    Hence our relegation to somewhere no one can see us, leaving the main Forums page to those who want to have 'serious' discussions about proper writing...
    Outrageous! Most of us who post in the RLG and other threads like it, are the ones who keep the site going. We post lots of GOOD work, we crit, we comment and we try and contribute to discussions. We also like to interract, which is kinda why I thought we were here...a community, doesn't it say somewhere? Pah!

tc
    by Dee at 11:53 on 02 March 2004
    Almost simultaneous postings, Nahed.

Without wishing to dive into a dispute with the Admin Team, I do think you have a damned good point. We may introduce a little humour into the RLG threads but we’re still discussing writing. RLG is becoming increasingly more popular. It gets us writing and it gets us talking. I don’t understand why it should be relegated to the ‘second division’.

I’m not having a go at David and the rest of the team. This is a great site and they do a cracking job – the new-look archive being the latest example of their readiness to respond to new ideas. I’m just interested to know how these decisions are reached and who makes them.

There. That’s my two-pennorth. Apart from to say please, please, Nahed, don’t leave. You’re one of the most active and productive members on the site. It would be a damned crime if you were driven off because of that.

Dee
    by swandale at 12:53 on 02 March 2004
    Just to detract from the politics for a brief second, mine is now up. Actually, it's been up since this morning, I just forgot to mention it here.

And Nahed, please don't leave us.

Sam x
    by word`s worth at 13:19 on 02 March 2004
    Well, Dee, I see your post about Censorship and Elitism has been removed. What a surprise eh? Long Live Freedom of Speech! or not as the case may be.

I'd like my money back please! But since the WW Admin team don't even bother replying to emails asking them to elaborate on decisions made and why the make them and indiscriminately delete posts that don't agree with their way of thinking then I think I can probably 100% be sure that I'm not getting anything back.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky that what happens here in WriteWords doesn't spread to my 'real' life - or else I might find myself deleted or disappeared without a trace...it just seems all too familiar. I think I'll pass thanks!
    by Richardwest at 13:36 on 02 March 2004
    Wordy, Wordy: Listen. A wise old man once said something I can't for the life of me remember now. I shall return with shomething more constructive soon but meantime go outside and shout at the lawn, I do it a lot and haven't even got one. You know how special you are to all of us, well, all right, you don't, but you are, so there it is. A community is made up of all the people in it so there won't be all the people in it if you're not in it. So what this means is, and I should not be drinking at lunchtime, what this means is, it's like John Donne said when he was here once, everyone's departure diminishes me (something like that, it was his lunchtime too) and so if you depart this island of ours will be a lot smaller and I'll be a dwarf. That should have had a comma in it after 'depart'. Actually as that's a comment I should have posted it separately for an extra point. But though increased numerically, this could not begin to compensate for being physiologically downwards adjusted. I'll say something else in a bit but meantime do not make this island shrink on account of some rearrangement of its landscape.

Oh. I did like that last bit.

Richardxxx
    by tinyclanger at 13:39 on 02 March 2004
    Wordy! Please don't go....
    You're the only one who knows the answers to all our obscure poem quests, to say nothing of your scones..

Look this is silly. Can't we sort it out?
    David/ other WW admin: why is RLG not appropriate for the Front page? Your answer so far doesn't really stand up - other threads are on-going and don't get moved. And you moved this RLG when it was only a page long, which is a bit quick even if this is now the policy.

If you don't like it, just say so and maybe we can thrash it out, but we must be able to have the discussion or the site seems to be terribly compromised..

x tc
    by Richardwest at 13:46 on 02 March 2004
    Wordy: Your post crossed with mine. This is because you're probably writing at a greater speed than I am. I've now no idea what's going on but the straws in the wind are beginning to look more like flying debris. Can you do me a big favour and maybe go off to Sainsburys for an hour and get some Whiskas for Snowy? Then you can throw it at me when you come back. But in the meantime you'll be away from your computer and maybe we kind of figure out how to start a new thread or something when you come back and I won't myself be tempted to remove my nose because I've gone off my face. PS: not sure about Sainsbury's house red so there's no need to worry about that.

Rxxxx
    by Richardwest at 13:49 on 02 March 2004
    Wunnerful. Tiny's here. Wordy, can you wait for David to respond to Tiny? Yes?? And it's true what she said. Apart from anything else, we were all supposed to meet up at the Britannia and I'm not drinking alone.

Rxx
    by tinyclanger at 13:57 on 02 March 2004
    Well on the thread started by haunted, David has asked us to contact him direct by WW mail to discuss this.
    I will do that, but also feel very strongly that this should be an open discussion, so I will feedback anything important here.

tc
    by word`s worth at 14:02 on 02 March 2004
    Thanks everyone for your lurve and support. But it's the principle of the matter! I've written an email to David Bruce and have now seen that he wants everyone who has a problem with RLG being relegated to contact him only on WWMail - clearly the deleting of posts will continue.

Richard, apart from making me laugh out loud while steam spilled from my ears, I have to disagree about not leaving because the landscape of the land has changed (you're right that was a beautiful line - can I steal it from you?). If everyone kept silent when they felt an injustice or a wrong has been made then we'd still be battering each other over the heads with clubs in very cold and smelly caves. As tc said...these things need to be discussed and not just handed out to us, and we other accept it or go elsewhere (not until I get my money back ) It's wrong, and I for one stand firm by my principles (and Wallis too - but there isn't one in town).

No, seriously, and this is a serious matter. I shall await David's reply to my email and see if there is some sort of change or at least a compromise or, dare I dream, a right to discuss it in the forum. I have been made to feel quite small by this and as if I lower the tone of this website and quite frankly I'm far too tall for that.

All my best

Nahed

<Added>

P.S. Richard, why on earth would I throw Snowy at you? And I'm so sorry for destroying your beautiful line about the landscape changing...but since I changed it a little - I can still use it, right? ;)
    by Richardwest at 14:17 on 02 March 2004
    Wordy, Wordy: I fully understand it's the bloody Wallis that counts here, you don't have to tell me why the King abdicated. But he then went off where no-one else could follow, which looks exactly what you're set on doing, when if you think about it, well, look what happened to him. I don't think he ever wrote another short story in his life. So I KNOW you're feeling pretty pissed off and everything and I know there's an issue here but couldn't it be resolved by, say, David (when he returns from the Field Hospital) putting a note in the General Forum which could be for the benefit of everyone -- members new as well as old -- as to what an RLG is? I dunno, shomething along the lines of:

WRITING EXERCISES: THE RLG

'One of the WriteWords community's popular writing exercises is the RLG: Random Line Generator. This is where someone volunteers to come up with a sentence which other members then use as the opening line of their story. It's intended to be a fun way of firing the individual imagination. RLGs appear regularly in the WriteWords Exercise section of the forum so if you'd like to take up the challenge yourself, that's the place to go.'

This Public Service Advisory could then be kept 'extant', as it wered, in the General Forum, by people adding a line to the thread to alert others to the fact that they've posted either a comment or a new addition to the latest RLG in the Exercises section.

What happened to Dorothy Perkins, by the way? I used to go out with the manageress of a DP store, many years ago now though, probably around the time Wallis came in and wrecked everything.

Richardxx

<Added>

The first line of the penult para should have read 'were' not 'wered'. Weird. This tends to happen when you're wired though. I must get something to eat soon.
    by Richardwest at 14:24 on 02 March 2004
    Dammit, your replies are crossing with my replies and I've just spilled jellied Felix all down my jeans. Yes you can have every line wot I ever wrote but not if you adbicate. Snowy is sitting here and says the same. Now look what's happened, he's just nicked the chicken from me sandwich.

Rxxx
  • This 189 message thread spans 13 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  > >