Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Vernon God Little
    by Charlev at 08:56 on 19 July 2007
    Hi everyone, I am an Australian writing a novel set in Australia so try to read widely from authors from my home country. DBC Pierre was born in Australia but has spent most of his life abroad. This novel was not something I would choose to read otherwise.

Review of Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre

This novel was grim, dark and filthy. Vernon God Little is a black comedy. The story is set in the lone star state of Texas in a dirty bleak small town engulfed with poverty which ensured that "life ain't ever gonna be fair". Vernon is suspected of the mass murder of 16 students. He flees to Mexico to a beach hut, is betrayed and martyred.
    Powerful Texas twang vibrates through the dialogue. The dialogue by women was often about food: "Have you fed him?"; "I think Vaine bought ribs.”; “She’s supposed to be on the Pritikin diet - Barry'll have a 'truck'!" This and the authentic voice and descriptions that transported you to the area is what must have led Pierre to win the Man Booker prize with his first novel.
    A comedy? A never laughed or even smiled - perhaps grimaced and put the book down!
    Charlev