Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The Go Between: L.P. Hartley
    by Nell at 08:51 on 15 December 2004
    An elderly man looks back upon his life and one long hot summer spent with a schoolfriend at his large country house. A story of love, the need to belong, and the loss of innocence. A perfect book.
  • Re: The Go Between: L.P. Hartley
    by Al T at 08:55 on 15 December 2004
    Nell, I love this book! And what a cracking first line, "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there." Also, I love the film: Julie Christie and Alan Bates in a haystack - cor blimey!

Adele.
    by Nell at 09:10 on 15 December 2004
    Adele, it's incredibly difficult to find the right tone when writing for adults from a child's perspective, even when writing as that child towards the end of life - I know, I've tried it. Yet L.P. Hartley achieves this perfectly in The Go Between. I have Eustace and Hilda waiting to be read when I can find time - something to look forward to.
    by CarolineSG at 13:10 on 12 October 2005
    I almost gave a little 'whoop' then coming across this, because this is one of my all-time favourite books. I completely agree with what you say about 'perfection'.
    I have banged on about it for years and hardly ever come across another soul who has read it! Hurrah!
    Nell, I also really enjoyed Eustace and Hilda. Hope you like it.