Login   Sign Up 

• Wild Swans: Jung Chang
    by Nell at 08:59 on 15 December 2004
    Practically a history of China from the early nineteen-hindreds, but with names and faces and the personal experiences of Jung Chang and her family.

How many of us realised exactly what was happening in China under Chairman Mao, and the unspeakable cruelties that human beings can inflict on each other?

Enlightening, traumatic and deeply moving, a story of immense courage and fortitude.
  • Re: Wild Swans: Jung Chang
    by Al T at 09:05 on 15 December 2004
    Nell, another book I really enjoyed, and what a page-turner! Watch out for Jung Chang's biog of Chairman Mao next year, which she has co-written with her historian husband. She's still persona non grata in China, but has had access to Presidents and Prime Ministers in the West and I look forward very much to hearing their thoughts.

Adele.
    by CarolineSG at 13:13 on 12 October 2005
    I'm going to have to muscle in here too, because I also loved this book!

Incidentally, I didn't fancy reading 'Mao', but I did go to see her and her husband being interviewed at the Royal Festival Hall about it recently.It was really fascinating..
    by Shika at 22:50 on 13 October 2005
    Hi Caroline

I couldn't agree more. I also enjoyed Wild Swans especially the earlier part of the novel when Jung Chang describes ancient Chinese culture before the arrival of the Kuonamintang and Mao. S
    by Account Closed at 20:53 on 22 October 2005
    Can also recommend this, it's an amazing work. I ended up reading a book on Mao afterwards as I wanted to find out more, there's an easy going read, Mao, by Jonathan Spence that I enjoyed very much.
    by Cornelia at 21:48 on 25 October 2005
    I was at the London talk, too, so heard her answer to the question, put by a Chinese person in the audience: ' Can you think of anything Mao did which was good for the Chinese people?' She couldn't.

My answer' is that in 1949 there was a 99% illiteracy rate, no doctors in rural areas, no laws to prevent women being sold in marriage as children, and no attempt to stop foot-binding. Now the literacy rate has been reversed, and women have the right to divorce and to own property, there is medical treatment for the poor and no more foot-binding. China also has the fastest-growing economy in the world, although the revisionists are making sure the wealth is going into the hands of the privileged, as before.

Mao hated the old elite because they treated the peasants - 90% of the population, like slaves.

Did you notice that Jung Chang's grandmother was the concubine of an important general? She came from a wealthy family who were persecuted during the Cultural Revolution but who nevertheless managed to hang on to a good part of their money.

Her account cannot be relied upon to be objective and it is in the nature of things that she and her husband are often unable to name their sources, so much of what is claimed cannot be disproved.

I would also recommend the Philip Short biography.

Sheila