Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 38 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • Message for Zettel
    by Lavelle at 00:07 on 31 December 2011
    Dear Zettel

What have we done to deserve you?

You've decided you are a fine reviewer. You've chosen this website to be your blow-up doll.

I speak only for myself when I express this opinion: your reviews and your writing ability are pretty shit.

Thank you for listening.
  • Re: Message for Zettel
    by Zettel at 00:21 on 31 December 2011
    Fair enough. Don't read.

Just to make something clear: your note has nothing to do with my already formed decision to change my MIGP review.

thanks for listening.

z
    by Lavelle at 00:53 on 31 December 2011
    Just to make something clear: your note has nothing to do with my already formed decision to change my MIGP review.

Well hold on -- you cannot say that my "note has nothing to do with my already formed decision to change my MIGP review".

My "note" has everything to do with that review. Hmm. Let me refashion that sentence: My "note" has everything to do with that "review".

I've no doubt you'll get a flock of simperingly supportive replies, but in the grand tradition of robust discourse, let me tell you my opinion:

I can't stand the tone of your writing. On the few occasions that I've read your stuff, I find a Kenneth Williams voice appear in my head.

As my old dad would have said, "You fancy yourself".

You seem to want to be a cross between Robert Morley and Kenneth Tynan. My advice is that this is not an attractive proposition.

You have some interesting insights. Why not concentrate on communicating them in natural language, rather than trying too hard to be something you are not? Focus on the message rather than the packaging.
    by Account Closed at 09:34 on 31 December 2011
    Blimey what a horrible thread! I like Zettel's reviews - I don't always agree with his opinions but then I don't always agree with any reviewer.

And I think his chatty, circumlocutory tone is very refreshing. If you don't like it don't read it or critique it in a meaningful way. "Pretty shit" is just a blind insult - not critique.
    by Account Closed at 09:41 on 31 December 2011
    And by the way - if disagreeing with your OP makes me simperingly supportive then so be it. Though since I have no connection with Zettel I don't see why my opinion is any less valid than yours.
    by Account Closed at 10:12 on 31 December 2011
    What a horrible thing to say. If you don't like something, don't read it. There's no need to be so petty and personal.
    by MPayne at 10:17 on 31 December 2011
    I speak only for myself

You can say that again!

Why be so nasty?
    by Astrea at 11:21 on 31 December 2011
    Hmm.

Not sure gratuitously insulting someone is in the grand tradition of anything, apart from rudeness.

This is an excellent site for reviewing and critiquing each other's work. Your opinion is as valid as anyone's, but perhaps
    your reviews and your writing ability are pretty shit.
    falls a little short of a balanced, well thought-out critique?
    by Jem at 11:30 on 31 December 2011
    Lavelle, I notice you wish to remain anonymous. Not surprising. You are a nasty piece of work.
    by Zettel at 11:31 on 31 December 2011
    Lavelle

I'm not going to participate further in what other members of Writewords have rightly described as a nasty little thread. That is not the tone of this site or the attitude of the immensely varied members who respect its rules. Rules which my the way your notes break being personal and abusive.

Whether you have noticed it or not your second note insults other Writewords members as much as me: many of whom have enjoyed and benefited from the site for years rather than 5 months.

The facts - for others not you.

I felt conned by the trailer, studio hype, aggressive promotion and critical passivity about MIGP. With its blatant product placements, BMW and Dell to name just two; incoherent plot and ludicrous science and technology, it just seemed to me to be a vanity project rip off.

So I was pissed off. My piece, written in the early hours was sarcastic and satirical. However justified, it was also definitely OTT and I knew it. I had meant to leave it in Preview but posted it by mistake. I returned an hour later to radically change it when fewer than 10 people had seen it and found your unpleasant little note. I don't much care whether you compliment yourself with being the reason for the change. I know otherwise.

Thanks Flora, Jenn and Michelle for your comments.

Z

by Zettel at 11:38 on 31 December 2011
    PS

Thanks Margaret and Geraldine - you don't sound in the least bit "simpering" to me. But then you never have.

best

Z
    by Steerpike`s sister at 12:37 on 31 December 2011
    Er - this is bizarre. I thought this was going to be a thread saying 'thank you Zettel for reviewing films for us'. Not read the MIGP review, whatever MIGP is, but in the past I've always thought Zettel's reviews were interesting and funny to read. I totally appreciate that others may not agree but then, um, don't read them!
    I can't see how anyone can get so annoyed by a film review anyway, unless you happen to be the director/star/whatever.

<Added>

If this

I can't stand the tone of your writing. On the few occasions that I've read your stuff, I find a Kenneth Williams voice appear in my head.

As my old dad would have said, "You fancy yourself".

is your idea of robust discourse I'd love to know what your idea of a tirade of wholly subjective and unprovoked insults is.

(thinks for a second)

Wait... You're not my father-in-law, are you?? OMG :-0
    by Account Closed at 13:08 on 31 December 2011
    I thought this was going to be a thread saying 'thank you Zettel for reviewing films for us'.

Same here.

What have we done to deserve you?

I'd like to ask Lavelle the same thing.

<Added>

Wait... You're not my father-in-law, are you?? OMG :-0

LOL !!!
    by debac at 13:23 on 31 December 2011
    This is a horrible thread - well, it started off horrible anyway, and has been partially redeemed by all the sensible remarks added by other members.

I'd like to add that when I was at school, people would say that someone "fancied themselves" when actually that person had done rather well and they were jealous. Trying to write well (whether or not we manage to do so) is not about fancying ourselves but about trying to do something well. Aspiring to do anything well is about trying to achieve, not about fancying ourselves.

I don't know you, Zettel, and I haven't read any of your reviews, but don't be put off by this unpleasant person.

Deb
    by susieangela at 16:16 on 31 December 2011
    What the....?!?
    I opened this thread because I thought someone was (quite rightly) thanking Zettel for his excellent and perceptive reviews. How wrong I was.
    And writing the rest of us off as 'simpering' does you no favours at all.
    Susie
  • This 38 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >