Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The Iron Lady
    by debac at 18:17 on 11 January 2012
    This was very well made, with a fantastic performance from Streep. However, the filmmakers had a big problem in deciding how to approach the story. Thatcher is a very divisive figure, so there is no accepted version of her. Some see her as evil; others see her as a great politician and leader. The script and direction appeared to tread a path between different interpretations of her.
    Young Thatcher (then Margaret Roberts) was played by Alexander Roach, and was extremely likeable at that point: pretty, earnest, determined, and full of ideals. I admired the way she fought against prejudice to claw her way up into a political position of real influence. However, at some point after Streep took over the portrayal (not immediately), Thatcher took on her evil face. This really began when she ordered the sinking of the Belgrano (her comment 'Rejoice' at the time was not in the film, but I remember it). Then she was shown becoming more and more dictatorial and unpleasant towards her cabinet, and eventually was ousted.
    The film flitted forwards and backwards through time between her life as an old lady with dementia after Denis's death, her young life, and her life in power. Some people feel that put an unfair emphasis on her dementia and her weakness in old age. However, I felt it softened her. She seemed nice when young, someone we could feel compassion for when old, and it was only when in power that her screen portrayal exhibited the facets which made her so hated in real life.
    Where the film falls down is that it makes one curious about the real woman in youth and old age. Unlike the film Senna, which relies on real footage from the time, this is purely dramatised, so we don't see the real woman. Definitely worth seeing if she interests you, whether you're a lover or a hater.
  • Re: The Iron Lady
    by Zettel at 23:49 on 11 January 2012
    Agree entirely about the portrayal of the young Thatcher Debbie. Alexandra Roach does a really good job and does arouse our sympathy for what Margaret Roberts had to overcome.

Nice piece. And admirably succinct - which mine wasn't.

regards

Z
  • Re: The Iron Lady
    by debac at 18:19 on 12 January 2012
    Thank you...