Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• War Horse at the Royal National Theatre
    by EmmaD at 12:53 on 28 October 2007
    This isn't really a review, because at the moment how I feel about this production is almost beyond analysis. Like all great art, it's un-summarisable, fundamentally indescribable, in any other form than its own. It's based on the children's novel by Michael Morpurgo, but there's nothing at all childish about the production, though anyone over the age of about 7 would understand it.

Beg, borrow, steal for a ticket. If you're not within reach of London - and for something like this, it would be worth travelling from John O'Groats - picket your local theatre to take the touring version if it possibly can. Just see it.

Emma
  • Re: War Horse at the Royal National Theatre
    by Account Closed at 13:03 on 29 October 2007
    I bought my tickets a while ago Emma and am looking forward to this in a few weeks.

Did you see Coram Boy (have I spelled that correctly??). It was so incredible and very moving ... despite a theatre full of teenagers school trippers. The amazing thing was how they were all completely entranced. I would like to see the new production.
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:17 on 29 October 2007
    Ooh, Emma, I'm jealous- am just about to book, am terrified there won't be any tickets as reviews have been so superlative.
    by caro55 at 14:28 on 29 October 2007
    I know I'm a wimp, but I just couldn't cope with going to see this. Even the title makes me want to cry!
    by EmmaD at 15:09 on 29 October 2007
    I saw the first half of Coram Boy only, because it completely defeated my vomit-phobic daughter and we gave up at the interval. Maybe we shouldn't have been pleased that the Travelex £10 tickets were in the third row... I did think it was extremely good, what I saw, though. And His Dark Materials was fantastic as well. But for for perfect unity of space and storytelling, for me this has them both beat by a mile.

Caro it is very sad but never sadistically so. Can't say more than that without giving away the plot. I must say I couldn't say that about Coram Boy, which I sometimes felt was setting out to be as horribly awful as possible.

Do you think one could define Theatre as storytelling in space as well as time?

Emma
    by Account Closed at 15:26 on 29 October 2007
    I think Coram Boy probably appealed to my gory, melodramatic side. But I know what you mean Emma! I actually found the dead baby bits (did you get that far?) excrutiating and was almost in tears. But it was well done and you would have missed the drowning scene at the end which was done so amazingly.

Did you see Shaw's Joan recently? There were some incredible battle scenes in that and the music was just beautiful - although a friend with me said it was caterwauling!

Sarah
    by EmmaD at 17:31 on 29 October 2007
    No, I missed Joan, bother it. Getting to the theatre seems to take more organisation than I'm capable of, sometimes. If my daughter hadn't badgered me to go to War Horse - we had a very good Platform perf. by Michael Morpurgo earlier - I might not have got there at all.

The Country Wife at the Haymarket is huge fun, BTW, specially if you fancy Toby Stephens as much as I do

Emma