Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Playwrights and writing history
    by MikeElliston at 09:22 on 23 January 2008
    My name is Mike and I am undertaking a major new study for my PhD at Queen Mary, University of London. I am interested in reading plays which have been written since 1979 which feature an historical character or event. This can be from recent history (20th Century) or from way back. I am researching why playwrights use history on stage and what their writing process involved and who the intended audience was/is. Plays can either have been performed professionally or otherwise or not at all. I am especially keen to hear from writers who are currently in the process of writing an historical play as well. It would be great to hear from you and you can either respond via this forum or to my email address at me@mike-elliston.co.uk. Thank you!
  • Re: Playwrights and writing history
    by EmmaD at 09:29 on 23 January 2008
    Mike, can I point you towards Diane Samuels and her play Kindertransport? Certainly a historical event, and based on real though not famous characters. Recently revived by Shared Experience, which she found a fascinating process. If you want to WWmail me, I can forward it to her.

There's a Churchill play whose name escapes me - I'm sure you know it. Includes Pope Joan in a kind of Immortal Dinner...

Emma
  • Re: Playwrights and writing history
    by MikeElliston at 09:37 on 23 January 2008
    Dear Emma,

Thank you so much for reply only moments after I posted! Yes, I would be very interested in being in touch with Diane, that would be very useful. The fact that it centres on an historical event which is played out through the personal experiences is exactly what I am looking for. I am very grateful to you for this pointer.
    Best wishes,
    Mike