Login   Sign Up 

This 65 message thread spans 5 pages: 1  2   3   4   5  > >  
  • How To Write A Blockbuster – by Helen Corner and Lee Weatherly
    by Dee at 14:37 on 15 November 2006
    There are more than enough ‘How to Write’ books, and I think I've read most of them, but this one is different. It pulls together all those basic guidelines we've all heard of, and explains them simply and clearly.

Helen Corner, with a background in publishing, is the founder of Cornerstones – a leading UK literary consultancy. Lee Weatherly has a background in agenting, and is now a full-time writer and freelance editor.

Aimed at novelists, but also useful for short story writers, the book is divided into two sections. Part one covers the main problems encountered by new writers: getting started, finding the time and creating a writing space, plot and structure, characters, dialogue, the infamous Show Don’t Tell (authors tell, characters show), pace and tension, through to the final editing. Part two covers a common sense approach to submitting, handling rejection, and the reality of being published. Finally, the book wraps up with a list of recommended reading and some useful addresses/websites.

As I've been around the block a few times, there wasn’t much here I hadn’t read before, but this book pulled it together, and made everything so clear and easy to understand. If you buy just one book on the basics of writing – and especially if you're new to the business – make it this one.

Published by Teach Yourself.
    ISBN: 0340916915.

• Re: How To Write A Blockbuster – by Helen Corner and Lee Weatherly
    by Colin-M at 15:04 on 15 November 2006
    Hang on... Lee Weatherly is an author, and a good one, but I wouldn't call her books "Blockbusters".

So what qualifies her to teach everyone else what she got wrong?
    by Dee at 17:24 on 15 November 2006
    I take your point, Colin, but this is simply a review of this particular book, not her novels.

Dee
    by Lammi at 19:21 on 15 November 2006
    I feature in this briefly, but I don't subscribe to all the advice. Just thought I'd make that point in view of the other thread on 'rules'.
    by Dee at 19:55 on 15 November 2006
    Who mentioned rules? I'm just saying I think some people might find this book useful.

I did think that, as this is a site for writers, it was pretty bad form that there hasn’t been a review of a book about writing since January 2005 so, when I picked this up, I decided it was worth recommending, because I genuinely think it has something to offer.
    by Lammi at 20:20 on 15 November 2006
    Yes, sorry, Dee, I just wanted to clarify in case I was accused of contradicting myself.

It's the section in chapter 6 about How to Write Blockbuster Prose and it begins one section by saying "Was and were are passive verbs". They're not (except in the loosest sense of the term, as in they're stative as opposed to dynamic, ie they describe a state rather than an action).

There's quite a lot in this section I don't agree with although it's sometimes stated quite strongly, like a rule - "If I find myself composing a sentence with 'was' or 'were' whenever possible I turn it round and re-write it...It's always more powerful and interesting that way", and "Adverbs...are lazy writing" etc. And I do speak as someone who has written a blockbuster, albeit accidentally.

I can't comment on the other sections as I haven't read them, but the titles look good and helpful, and you've obviously found them so.
    by Colin-M at 07:48 on 16 November 2006
    And I do speak as someone who has written a blockbuster, albeit accidentally

oh, to be able to say that in conversation!! Though the last two words really say a lot about blockbusters, the market and how unpredictable it can be.

Dee, that wasn't a comment on your review, but the title. I'm all for books on how to write and improve writing, but to title a book, "How To Write A Blockbuster" leads to the obvious question: if you know the formula, where's your blockbuster?

Even Stephen King's book was pitched to the masses as a memoir of the craft, not "How To Get Rich With a Typewriter".
    by EmmaD at 09:27 on 16 November 2006
    Yes, an irritating title, given that the book seems to offer some sensible if basic advice. But don't forget it may be the publisher's choice of title, not the authors'. I guess with King's book, the unstated 'blockbuster' idea is implicit in his authorship, perhaps.

I understand the usefulness - and certainly the appeal - of this kind of book, but this review's prompted me to think about which books I recommend when I'm asked. So, for the record:

The Artists' Way by Julia Cameron for dealing with what gets in the way of your writing

Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande, for mining the gold

The Way to Write by Ted Hughes, John Fairfax and John Moat for the word-by-word business of writing (no rules!

The Forest for the Trees: An Editors' Advice to Writers, by Betsey Lerner for understanding your writerly self, and the relationships you'll then have with editors, agents and so on

An Author's Guide to Publishing by Michael Legat for the nuts and bolts of the trade

Emma
    by Luisa at 09:37 on 16 November 2006
    Great recommendations, Emma.

Dee, I was interested in this review because I'm reading one of Lee Weatherly's books right now. I think she's an excellent writer. I'll definitely look out for this. Thanks for the review!

Colin, I take your point, but you could see it this way: a coach can help an athlete win an Olympic medal even if the coach has never won. On the other hand, I take that back instantly, because winning a gold medal and writing a 'blockbuster' are two completely different things!

And Lammi, I agree with you about the grammatical points. Those kinds of things make my Linguist blood boil!

Luisa
    by Colin-M at 10:05 on 16 November 2006
    Yeah, I thought up a similar argument when writing it - Simon Cowell on the X Factor, he knows what is good and how to manage it, but can't perform himself.

For the list, can I add:

Solutions for Writers (Secrets of a Master Editor) and
    Solutions for Novelists both by Sol Stein

and just about any book on writing english language correctly, because it was only by going back to basics that I realised just how rusty I was, and that I didn't have the basic skills that I thought I had.

by nessiec at 11:27 on 16 November 2006
    I still really rate 'The Creative Writing Coursebook' as a guide to the whole process of writing/editing/submitting. The section on redrafting is particularly good. I think the advice to read through your work once without touching it, and then to read it again armed with pens, scissors, highlighters et al and to 'attack' it, is excellent.
    by Dee at 11:47 on 16 November 2006
    Emma, Colin and Vanessa, it would be really useful to other writers if you would do reviews of those books and post them in this forum. As I said before, for a writers’ website, we have amazingly few reviews on ‘How to write’ books.

Dee
    by Nik Perring at 11:22 on 17 November 2006
    'The First Five Pages,' is worth a look too, by Noah Lukeman.
    by EmmaD at 11:30 on 17 November 2006
    Yes, The Creative Writing Coursebook is a cracker. The Joy of Writing Sex by Elizabeth Benedict is another, and on one of the most difficult kinds of writing to get right.

I'm STILL trying to get round to writing a review that Anna asked me too embarrassingly long ago, so I fear I shan't be adding to the reviews list soon. And to be honest, despite there being books I think are good, and some I've found extremely useful, not to say inspiring, the recent threads/furores on the 'rules' have made me wary of saying anything that makes people think that reading a how-to book will turn them into writers. It's a bit like thinking that reading the Highway Code and a Hayne's manual for a car not altogether unlike yours will teach you to drive.

Emma
    by Nik Perring at 11:34 on 17 November 2006
    people think that reading a how-to book will turn them into writers

It won't but at the same time it doesn't do them any harm. I think you know you're getting somewhere with th ecraft of writing when you're able to read 'advice' and think, nope, don't agree with that; but I can see what they mean.

Becoming a competant writer requires you to be well and broadly read. For what it's worth I think reading as much as you can can only benefit you, as long as you're prepared tp accept that nothing is gospel.

Nik.
  • This 65 message thread spans 5 pages: 1  2   3   4   5  > >