Login   Sign Up 

• Pets in Prospect by Malcolm Welshman
    by Manny at 10:51 on 20 December 2006
    Thanks to Write Words for letting me have this book to review.

Pets in Prospect, by Write Words member Malcolm Welshman, tells the story of newly qualified vet Paul Mitchell and his first six months in practice at Prospect House. The book is written from Paul's point of view and each chapter is an anecdote of his day-to-day encounters with a variety of sick or injured animals. From hamster to camel, the young vet takes it all in his stride, letting the reader in on what's going through his mind as he does so.
    The subject matter is one I find very interesting and I thought it was handled well. The descriptions of the various ailments dealt with are informative and realistic but not so graphic as to put the reader off, and on the whole I felt the animals were treated with sensitivity. Although technical terms are often used, they have been dropped into place skilfully, their meanings are obvious, and so the story moves along well without getting sidetracked by explanations. With Mr Welshman's distinctive brand of humour consistent throughout, Pets in Prospect is quite an insight into what life throws at a vet on a daily basis. I found it to be an enjoyable book and, as each chapter is more or less a story in itself, an easy one to pick up, even if you only have ten minutes to spare.
    Malcolm Welshman seems to have great enthusiasm for both his writing and veterinary work and has managed to combine the two successfully, having been vet for My Weekly for 15 years as well as currently writing for two other publications. I am sure he will have equal success with Pets in Prospect.
  • Re: Pets in Prospect by Malcolm Welshman
    by Dee at 19:50 on 20 December 2006
    Good review, Manny. Think I'll have to add this one to my wishlist!

Dee

• Re: Pets in Prospect by Malcolm Welshman
    by MWman at 19:43 on 22 December 2006
    Hi Manny. Yours is the first full review I've read of my book. I found it well balanced and you highlighted the very points I had in mind when I wrote it. In doing so I consider you very perceptive. Thank you. You've helped to make my Christmas.
    Now the enthusiasm that is being generated for the book just needs to be directed into good sales. Joe Public....where are you?
    Malcolm