Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 29 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: A Gentle Axe by R.N. Morris
    by ashlinn at 07:46 on 09 February 2007
    Thanks, Roger. I have to say I am very excited because it is the first time to read a book by someone I 'know'. (Yes, it's a sheltered life I lead, I know!) I'm going to wait until the end of the month before I read it because I am trying to hit writing targets.
    So from what you say, you seem to be now released from any obligations to MNW. Given that you now have options, would you resubmit to MNW? Why?
    From a recent discussion I was a bit disappointed to hear that MNW focused on hardbacks. Personally, from a business rather than a writer's perspective, I'd have gone to the other end of the market, paperback with a wider range of titles to spread the risk and to increase the chances of hitting on a bestseller.
    Best, A.

<Added>

I should add 'first time to read a published book' because I've read some a couple of great unpublished ones.
    by rogernmorris at 09:33 on 09 February 2007
    Thanks Brian. The audiobook is actually from an American Company called Tantor. I don't have any dealings with them (though the guy designing my audiobook cover left a message on my blog!). I don't know what they will be doing in terms of marketing it - and I don't know how to contact anybody there! It's all a bit weird as I only discovered the audiobook version existed by googling my title (yes, that's how sad I am!) and there it was. The US editor didn't know anything about it. It seems Penguin sold on the US audiobook rights. It's up to Faber to try to do the same over here but they haven't yet.

I can't really say how long I spent researching it. It wasn't, actually, a separate process from writing it. The story evolved out of my research, then the needs of the story sent me back to do more research. At the time it felt like I was doing it for ever. But now, obviously, I've come out the other side. I read a lot of novels of the period - Dostoevsky, obviously, but others too. I read general (particularly social) history books. I managed to find a PhD online that dealt with certain elements of the judicial system (including the role of an investigating magistrate). The internet helped a lot - but I didn't like to rely on it. Needed to check things in 'proper' books if I could. Just read as much as I could until I felt I was able to start. Then as I said I would come to a point where I realised I didn't know enough to go on. So I would try to find out more. Oh, yes, I contacted a guy at the St Petersburg historical society and he sent me a disc with hundreds of old maps copied on to it.

As for how many I have kicking around at home - it's about five, maybe, or six. My wife and I have different opinions about this.
    by rogernmorris at 09:37 on 09 February 2007
    Ashlinn - I hope you enjoy it then! It's a great honour to be in that position!

I did resubmit to MNW but they declined and now I think we both consider our obligations to each other to be fulfilled.

The hardback thing is tricky. I should say they have now made all the titles available as ebooks, which is an interesting development. Personally I don't 'get' ebooks but lots of people seem to be very excited by them.

I still think getting Taking Comfort published with MNW was the right thing to do and a good thing.

<Added>

ebooks are cheaper, is the point I'm tyring to make!

<Added>

trying to make, I mean!
    by Dreamer at 12:07 on 09 February 2007
    Thanks Roger on filling me in about the research.

It helps to hear what others have gone through. As you know, I am working on a historical novel and sometimes it is frustrating to spend a couple of hours on research in order to write one line. As you say though, the reseach has given me many new ideas for the story line.

Your book isn't available until sometime in March over here. I am surprised you did not know about the audiobook, do you not get any royalties on the audiobooks?

Brian.
    by rogernmorris at 20:39 on 09 February 2007
    Yes, end of Feb, beginning of March in Canada (the faber edition); March 22 in the USA (Penguin edition).

I kind of hope (!?) I get a royalty on the audiobooks! I assume that Penguin sold on the audio rights to the other company (Tantor) - and that the money they made from that is set against the advance they paid me. That's the way it's worked with the foreign sales that Faber have handled. The money is used to pay off the advance first. Once that's done you start to see some royalty income - or subsidiary rights income.
    by Dreamer at 00:57 on 10 February 2007
    If you get a royalty which I would presume you do, you should really look into Audible.com. It certainly would be worth an e-mail to them.

Brian.
    by JoPo at 16:28 on 10 February 2007
    Just bought a copy in Waterstones (at the Charing Cross Rd end of Oxford St). It was in the stack labelled new fiction - which is pretty good, I think.

Started reading on the way home - excellent!

Jim
    by rogernmorris at 09:46 on 11 February 2007
    That's very kind of you Jim. Which reminds me, yesterday I saw 'High John The Conqueror' picked out in the recommended reads section of my local (Crouch End) library. Right at the front looking splendid.
    by JoPo at 21:38 on 11 February 2007
    Ah, thanks Roger, that's good to know about the library in Crouch End. Off to bed now to carry on reading A Gentle Axe. Superb!

Jim

by Account Closed at 21:55 on 01 March 2007
    I was walking through Covent Garden today and saw a signed first edition in a shop window Roger. It was priced £16 and I couldn't stretch to that, which I found rather frustrating, I don't mind telling you!

JB
    by rogernmorris at 09:33 on 02 March 2007
    JB - which shop??? The only signings I've done is for Goldsboro books in Cecil Court, one of those little cut-throughs off Charing X Rd. They have a limited edition (500 copies only) hardback, so it is a little more expensive. I have to say, though, the hardback is a thing of beauty! The trade paperback is £12.99 rrp, though Waterstones are selling it either £3 off or in the 3 for 2s - it seems to vary depending on the branch. Amazon is quite heavily discounted too and there are those marketplace sellers who seem to be able to offer very cheap copies. I'm assured it's not stolen stock, but just the result of low overheads.

I keep saying, there's always the library you know. Make them buy it.

Nice to hear you spotted it though,

Rog
    by Account Closed at 10:51 on 02 March 2007
    Hi Rog

Yes, it was on Cecil Court, that's the one.

You're right about the library, silly me. I'll order both your books when I get back from France. I can always buy them at a later date when I'm rich and shameless

JB
    by ashlinn at 09:51 on 16 March 2007
    Roger, I've finished the Axe now and just wanted to say that I really enjoyed it. The setting was wonderfully realistic, the story intriging and, of course, the writing excellent. The next one also features Porfiry, is that right? Will this become a series?

by rogernmorris at 12:47 on 16 March 2007
    Thanks, Ashlinn! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. There's another Porfiry book written - furiously working on the edits for monday. The hope is it will turn into a series, yes.

Rog
  • This 29 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >