Login   Sign Up 

• A Dangerous Man - Anne Brooke
    by Account Closed at 01:15 on 27 July 2007
    A Dangerous Man

Anne Brooke

From the moment my copy arrived, I was keen to read this novel. The intriguing blurb on the back cover and the enticing image on the front informed me I was in for a satisfying read. And I was not disappointed.

A Dangerous Man relates the tale of Michael Jones, a struggling young artist in the shadowy depths of contemporary London, whose desire for success blossoms into obsession. Michael strives hard for artistic perfection, and more surprisingly, gets by on the side as an experienced rent boy.
    When Michael falls head over heels for handsome financier Jack Hutchinson, the stage is set for a thrilling and emotional journey.
    Early on, we are shown glimpses of Michael’s ferocious compulsion, the passions that drive him, hints and allusions to a troubled past.
    Swiftly immersed in the luxury of Hutchinson’s Islington pad, Michael thinks he has found a get out clause to all of his problems. Michael doesn’t see his sexual favours as prostitution, more as a necessary evil to edge him closer to his goal.
    Nevertheless, debt and desire ensnare his existence, harassment and blackmail dogging his heels.
    All is not as it seems…

London’s seedy backstreet life – the alcoholic desperation, gay bars, tricks for cash – all are brilliantly realised. From the grubby pub toilets to the morning cruisers along the Embankment, Brooke reveals the sleazy parameters of Michael’s world, all the while balancing the prurience with convincing erotica and the alarming hope of love.
    Expertly juxtaposed against the City’s squalor lies the upper class atmosphere of Jack Hutchinson’s realm – the grandiose houses, the immaculate offices, the uncomfortably polite family visits. In short, another universe completely.
    As Michael draws closer to the realisation of his ambitions – ambitions he’ll do almost anything to achieve – the darkness of the past comes drawing in, and the two worlds are set on a collision course.
    Will Michael’s obsession transcend his love for Jack? Can he meet the threat of his sordid history head on?

No doubt about it, A Dangerous Man is a gripping read. I finished the novel in only two sittings, enthralled by the plot and the finely drawn characters. The novel’s insightfulness made for clear visualisation, and all the events seemed perfectly placed and never less than engaging.

Anne Brooke handles her subject matter with humanity and grace, delivering an original, exciting and thoughtful read. Brave, bold, and beautifully written, A Dangerous Man is a class act.

© The Exploding Boy 2007
  • Re: A Dangerous Man - Anne Brooke
    by Account Closed at 07:49 on 27 July 2007
    Gosh. Thanks, JB - glad you liked it! And goodness you were quick!! (You'd best get back to your editing now - as I'm looking forward to getting my hands on "Unrequited" later on ...)

Many thanks though - as someone with a lot more experience of that environment (no insults meant here - that isn't how it sounds!!) than I have, I was wondering what you might think. I'm glad it worked for you.

)

A
    xxx
    by Account Closed at 11:35 on 27 July 2007
    My pleasure. Interestingly, there is a slight parallel between ADM and Unrequited, but in other ways, they are very different. You're novel is a lot more mature, both in characters and experience.
    I'm curious to see what you think, except the novel is all done and ready to go now and seems to have fallen into a limbo. It was supposed to be released in June, but the publisher's backlog has seen it languishing. I'm non too happy about it, considering I've already waited so long, but I'm assured it will be out very soon.

JB
    by Account Closed at 13:42 on 27 July 2007
    Ooh, can't wait - hope to be waving my purse in Unrequited's direction soon!

And, as I'm at least 150 years older than you, JB, it's not surprising that my sense of youthful energy has long since disappeared, tee hee!

)

A
    xxx
    by Account Closed at 15:41 on 27 July 2007
    Oh, you're book had energy all right. I meant that my MC is younger and a lot more naive, but he goes through a similar ordeal as Michael to protect his relationship. I'll be fascinated to hear your thoughts.

JB