Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Unrequited by James Bennett
    by Account Closed at 20:25 on 10 November 2007
    I've just finished this novel, and I realise that Sarah (Optimist) has just posted a review, but as I loved the book, I thought I'd post mine too!

"Unrequited" is a dark, explosive novel which grips the reader from the start and doesn't let you go till the exciting, lyrical finish. The main character, Aaron, tells most of the story in retrospect, which gives an undercurrent of known or guessed-at tragedy to the tale of a life laced with passion and obsession. The language and descriptions are poetic and mysterious, and I particularly appreciated the way in which Aaron's photographic eye is brought to bear on every part of his story.

For me, this lifted the novel well into the realms of the literary genre, without losing the essential pull of the narrative drive. A tour-de-force, in my opinion!
  • Re: Unrequited by James Bennett
    by Account Closed at 22:04 on 10 November 2007
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the novel Anne, and thanks for the excellent review. I'm really touched by both yours and Sarah's support. It's been an interesting journey so far, but words like these make it all worthwhile!

Best

JB
    by Account Closed at 09:16 on 11 November 2007
    It's been worth the wait for sure, JB - and I'm certainly looking forward to the next!

A
    xxx
    by Account Closed at 10:36 on 11 November 2007
    I have an idea in the back of my mind for a follow up to Unrequited, or at least a novel in a similar vein, but Lord knows when and if I'll ever get around to it. Since the time I wrote the novel I kind of 'jumped tracks' into dark fantasy, and I have a feeling this is where most of my work will take place, at least for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the kind words!

JB
    by optimist at 15:14 on 11 November 2007
    Great review, Anne

Sarah

by Account Closed at 16:13 on 11 November 2007
    Something to look forward to, JB! And thanks, Sarah - I can't be as erudite as you though, tee hee - not on a weekend!!

)

A
    xxx