Login   Sign Up 

• Queer Fish in God`s Waiting Room. By Lee Henshaw
    by Jubbly at 18:26 on 17 February 2008
    Queer Fish in God’s Waiting Room

By Lee Henshaw

Queer Fish in God’s Waiting Room is essentially a love letter to author Lee Henshaw’s girlfriend notably referred to throughout as ‘My Claire’. It is also hysterically funny and the ultimate in Lad Lit as the writer brings as much sensitivity to his male MC as he does macho bravado.
    The reader also learns the step by step recipe for the infamous ‘Blackberry bath bong’ which is already a hit on You Tube, catch Lee reading that passage on the site. This hilarious holiday road story takes our three lads from Macclesfield to New York, Mexico City and Venezuela. They get drunk, sober up, throw up, eat, get drunk again and end up at a pole dancing club where a naked woman asks if they’d like to lick cream from her nether regions. One of the lads responds, ‘Full fat or Low fat?’. The heat rises from the page as the author paints a truly authentic picture of life on the beach and seedy fan fuelled motel rooms. One is almost reaching for an icy beer with a slice of lime or a Margarita cocktail to compliment the read .Fortunately the MC, Liam Kerby, is a sensitive lad and there’s a very touching scene at the end of the book when he confronts his younger brother James, called throughout – ‘Brother James’ about his sexist attitude toward the lovely Claire that brought tears to my eyes.

QFIGWR is indebted to Hemmingway and gratefully acknowledged, but Henshaw is anything but in the great man’s his shadow. I look forward to reading more from this very promising author. Bring them on.

Review by Julie Balloo