Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Duma Key - Stephen King
    by Account Closed at 01:12 on 18 December 2008
    Undoubtably his best book since Bag of Bones, Duma Key is both evocative and peppered with echoes of earlier works, most notably Bag of Bones (although this work far surpasses that one) and indeed even The Shining, with perhaps a dash of Pet Sematary thrown in.

Like other long-time fans, I must admit that King lost me a little after Wolves of the Calla, which in my humble opinion, starting going somewhat awry after Harry Potter merchandise entered proceedings...
    I digress. Duma Key is so good it made me feel a little guilty for doubting King's continuing skills, but, much like Edgar Freemantle, the main protagonist of this novel, King took a big knock a while back and perhaps that even showed on the page...

Sure, this novel is a tad too long, sagging briefly in the latter third, but it recovers admirably and every great work must have its flaw.

Duma Key has all the right elements for a classic horror novel. It keeps you guessing right up until the last few pages and in many parts is unputdownable. Other parts are achingly beautiful. But there is a sense pervading its sun-drenched and sandy pages that the real horror here is all about loss and how to cope with it. The slightly rushed finale seems to bolster that fact and we move swiftly on to the TRUE finale, what the story seems really all about - facing the demons that haunt our dreams, healing and letting go. There is also much to be said about art, all compelling and right on the button.

To explain the plot would be to give too much away and hinder another readers' enjoyment. Put simply, if you appreciate Stephen King - even if you think you have read his best and think that he is past it - pick up this book and give it a whirl. You might be surprised. Duma Key paints a dark and magical picture, and sails over the ghostly horizon leaving the reader hungry for more.

JB
  • Re: Duma Key - Stephen King
    by stagename at 09:27 on 20 February 2009
    I started reading this book last week (needed something good to snap out of my Pratchett phase) and I agree, Duma Key is a great read.

Having only previously read the Shining by Steven King I can't really be defined as a die hard fan but I am thoroughly enjoying this read, would definitely recommend it to anyone (and this is coming from someone who refused to read any form of horror up until two weeks ago because she’s a wimp )

Steph