Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The Gone Away World - Nick Harkaway
    by Account Closed at 00:49 on 27 February 2009
    The Gone Away World is unlike anything I’ve read before. The story focuses around Gonzo, and his best friend, the narrator, and their many experiences through childhood, growing up, college radicalism, kung fu and military training, all leading up to an apocalyptic war where the normal rules do not apply and the world – quite honestly – goes haywire.

Like the Jorgmund Pipe that encircles the world in the war’s aftermath, a lifeline the besieged survivors slowly rebuild around, the novel starts in the middle of the action and loops back into the past, meandering by a long and circuitous route until seamlessly reconnecting with the present. There is a great sense of journey, of battles fought and lost, and every moment of the tale feels hard won, providing a deeply satisfying experience.

With a supporting cast of ninjas, mercenaries, pirates, scheming business execs, and, of all things, mime artists, the scope of this novel is enormous. The style never flags, remaining snappy and sharp throughout, and it is often utterly hilarious. Added to that, there are moments of profound wisdom, insider knowledge, political satire, human drama, ecological ponderings, grisly violence, wild sex and more than enough disturbing scenes to slake the thirst of the most jaded sci-fi fan.

Having said that, The Gone Away World easily transcends genre and doesn’t fit comfortably in any pigeonhole. Perhaps ‘surrealist action’ would best describe it.
    With its comic book verve and big screen panache, this novel is an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink drama in the purest sense. A novel to please just about anybody, from matrix-style fight scenes to far-fetched fantasy, to sweeping romance to mystery thriller to gutsy war story and so on, it is a book that never stops giving. Huge of heart with cracking characters, The Gone Away World contains more ingenious plot twists that you can shake a stick – or perhaps a nunchuck – at.

This book feels important, in terms of pushing the boundaries of genre fiction. It is challenging, daringly different and often plain weird, but it rewards the reader in slick testosterone-fuelled bursts and true flashes of genius. Even if it does occasionally ramble outrageously, it is never less than engaging, and is one of those rare reads that, despite its length, leaves you reluctant to finish and wondering about it for ages afterwards. For a debut novel, it is simply stunning.

The Gone Away World is quite the ride and somewhere in its bullet-riddled and otherworldly pages, it won my heart.

JB
  • Re: The Gone Away World - Nick Harkaway
    by J0ul35 at 17:16 on 05 March 2009
    Ooh a good review. I hadn't heard of this book, but you've managed to intrigue my interest! I will have a look for this next time i am in the bookshop.

Julie