Login   Sign Up 

• Pink Champagne and Apple Juice by Anne Brooke
    by Nell at 05:41 on 22 June 2006
    Pink Champagne and Apple Juice is a rollicking roller-coaster of a ride from the moment we first encounter Angie, legging it along Platform One, her mother in hot pursuit. She just makes it onto the train to the big city, leaving her mum either gesticulating or waving on the platform. ‘There, I’ve done it,’ she said to herself. ‘I’ve finally left home.’ It was only then she realized she’d forgotten to pack any knickers.

The knickers turn up again – in fact knickers both actual and metaphorical pop up (and down) fairly frequently before the end of the story. All the ingredients needed for a few hours escape from mundanity are here: there’s John, Angie’s transvestite uncle, concealing more than his sexuality beneath the paint and feathers; a gorgeous French waiter called Phillippe; Heinrich, an intimidating German chef and the colourful staff and clientele of The Den Nightclub, as well as Angie herself, trying her wings for size and creating chaos in the process. But nothing and nobody in this novel, except possibly Angie herself, are quite what they seem. There are lessons to be learned, family secrets to be uncovered and a way to be made in the big wide world that’s so different from the quiet Essex village she’s abandoned.

The writing carried me along at a cracking pace, and I laughed aloud more than once. Anne makes it look so easy. An enjoyable and light-hearted read and the perfect holiday novel or pick-me-up for a grey day. I couldn’t put it down and finished it in a single sitting. Pure escapism!
  • Re: Pink Champagne and Apple Juice by Anne Brooke
    by Account Closed at 06:27 on 22 June 2006
    Wow - thanks, Nell, you're a star - I'm really touched! (Well, you knew that ....) Thank you so much. Hugely.

)

A
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    by Prospero at 12:19 on 22 June 2006
    Great review. I will have to get a copy.

Best

Prosp
    by Account Closed at 15:11 on 22 June 2006
    Thanks, Prospero! If you WW-mail me your address, I can send a signed copy to you.

A
    xxx
    by optimist at 22:58 on 29 June 2006
    Just wanted to say I think Nell's excellent review is spot on - 'Pink Champagne and Apple Juice' is a treat to read.

Looking forward to Anne's next book!

Sarah

by Account Closed at 06:17 on 30 June 2006
    Many thanks, Sarah - glad you liked it! And my next book, "A Dangerous Man", (dark psychological thriller - so very different to Champers!) should be out from Flame later in the year.

)

A
    xxx
    by Dee at 20:50 on 06 July 2006
    Just finished it, Anne. Rollicking is the word!

Enjoyed it very much. Well done.

Dee
    by Account Closed at 21:05 on 06 July 2006
    Many thanks, Dee - glad you enjoyed it!

A
    xxx
    by rogernmorris at 10:47 on 14 July 2006
    I just finished PCAAJ this morning. Lots of fun, a really entertaining pacey read with a great central character - and I'm glad you gave it a happy ending, Anne! (I even felt myself welling up at the end - you see I'm a big softie at heart.)

Roger.
    by Account Closed at 11:38 on 14 July 2006
    You old softie, Roger!! Put your inner woman down at once! (You don't know where she's been ...) Glad you liked it though - many thanks for the comments.

A
    xxx