Login   Sign Up 

• I Met A Roman Last Night, What Did You Do?
    by sazzyjack at 15:44 on 08 November 2006
    I Met a Roman Last Night by Nik Perring is a wonderful tale about a young boy who experiences fantastic adventures when he falls asleep. The story’s main character Jack, is vivid and engaging and takes the reader with him on a fascinating and educational series of journeys into English history throughout the course of the book.

Jack’s journey starts with the Romans and moves on to the Celts and the burial of Boudicca. Next, he attends an Anglo Saxon feast and befriends a young Anglo Saxon girl. He also gets to see a Viking Longhouse firsthand, and even lends a hand in writing the Domesday book.

What I love most about this story is the way it brings history alive. Jack’s adventures lend a personal side to history that textbooks and museums can’t possibly do. In each of his encounters, Jack takes with him something that he could not have learned in the classroom. This is most apparent in his final night-time journey into English history, when he finds himself in war-time Britain during World War II. Not only does he learn something about history during his time there, but he learns something about people in his own time too.

This is a lively and interesting story with colourful characters. Highly recommended for children- this is guaranteed to get them excited about history!
  • Re: I Met A Roman Last Night, What Did You Do?
    by Account Closed at 16:52 on 10 November 2006
    Good review, Sazzy.

Yeh, i like Nik's technique, kinda like the curriculum Magic Key books for Infants where the kids (and Floppy!) can travel back in time.

Casey
    by Nik Perring at 19:11 on 20 January 2007
    Eek! Something else I thought I'd replied to! Sorry Saz and Casey.

Thanks so much for this! Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Nik.
    by RT104 at 17:52 on 17 March 2007
    Nik, is this where I should say how much we all enjoyed your book in this household? It arrived from Amazon, I took a quick look at it and decided it would do to share with my almost-8-year-old. But before we could get our hands on it, my 10-year-old had purloined it and devoured it in one evening! Littl'un and I have since retrieved it and we've got as far as the Vikings, and she is loving it, too. They both found the structure such a nice, inviting way in - history literally 'coming alive'. And although I know that's an idea that has been used before, you have really succeeded in making it true!

Thanks for a great read!

Rosy.
    by Nik Perring at 19:46 on 17 March 2007
    Thanks Rosy! Glad you and your gang enjoyed it! If you'd like to arrange for me to sign itfor you then let me know.

Nik.
    by sazzyjack at 20:49 on 17 March 2007
    Nik,
    I recently lent my copy to the little girl next door (I'm not hurting your sales- this child has only ever seen books in school and her parents would never have bought it for her) and she was so excited. She is enjoying it so much, and telling all of her friends. I think she is struggling with reading it a bit though. It makes me quite sad, since she's 7.
    by optimist at 22:33 on 18 March 2007
    I was asking where this was the other day - seems like my child's teacher has yet to give it back...

You couldn't rustle up a chapter on Ancient Egypt by say, Thursday, could you Nik?

Sarah
    by Nik Perring at 23:47 on 18 March 2007
    At least you've given her SOMETHING to read, Saz. Thanks!

Thursday, Sarah? I'll see what I can do.

(Actually there's a draft somewhere on my hard drive of a 6k story I did about Egypt in a very similat vein - I'll wwmail it you if you'd like.

Nik.
    by Account Closed at 12:34 on 19 March 2007
    Ooh, you couldn't WWmail that to me too, could you Nik??

Casey
    by Nik Perring at 12:35 on 19 March 2007
    Sure thing Casey.

N
    by optimist at 15:04 on 19 March 2007
    That would be great, Nik - thank you!

Sarah
    by Nik Perring at 15:28 on 19 March 2007
    No worries. Just found it. I'll wwmail it - if you'd like me to email you the word file then let me know. Hope it's useful/enjoyable.

N
    by RT104 at 10:13 on 20 March 2007
    Oooo, Nik, my youngest has been doing Egypt, too. You couldn't WWmail it to me as well, could you, possibly, pretty please?

Rosy.